Brass Mouthpieces

Piper

When I marched as a former precussionist, our brass players were allowed to select their own mouthpieces. Now it seems like more and more brass instuctors are insisting on a standardized version for all members pertaining to their respective sections. I'm no brass guru, so some of you that are......please chime in. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I gather, only the sops are allowed to use their own mouthpieces in most cases... am I right?

Note : That's PERcussionist not PREcusionist........another 25 in the dirt.

I talked to Mark Waymire (sp?) about this last year during Scouts spring training. The Scouts suggest, or did suggest, that 2&3rd trumpets use a 3c. The leads could use whatever they wanted, but had to be approved by the staff.

when I look on most websites, it says that auditions reccomend you use a certain kind. I don't know if you make the corps, but I know most auditions are pretty easy going when it comes to mouthpieces.

~>conner

I believe that certain corps do standardize their mouthpieces. I am playing on a Bach 1C (soon to be a Megatone 1C) mouthpiece for that very reason. I'll never have the technique or the range to play lead in any corps. So I'm making the most out of the 2nd and 3rd parts and getting used to the mouthpiece recommended by several corps for their lower trumpet parts. I think IIRC Phantom has their leads on 3C and everyone else on 1.5C-1C.

I think it's a pretty rediculous standard, especially for trumpet. People have different facial structures and require different diameters. Now, specifying that everbody be on a C cup, for example, wouldn't be so bad; but, a 3-diameter might be too large for some people, or too small for others.

I'm pretty certain that most Drum Corps require a 6.5 for Baritones

And the the tubas/contras have a 23-25