Advice for auditioning first time?

I have to agree with Phil.

If you show up willing to learn what they teach you.. flexible to changes in style.. willing to try and give your best effort -- that will keep you in their minds.

Also (and I can't stress this enough) -- don't isolate yourself from the kids who are returning. At mealtimes, smile and say hello.. ask if you can join them at their table.. be polite but make friends.

Sometimes I think auditions are more about how well you "fit in" than how well you can play when you get there. A good instructor can teach ANYONE to play. You can't teach someone how to fit in.

Go to have a good time and learn a lot.. you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

Stef

:worthy:

I have been in lines where our tech told us we were picked by how well we got along and worked together, and not just on how fast we can play splits or hold the cyms up the longest.

o ya, and also i live in akron, ohio (right by the bluecoats). Would there be a major difference about how tough it would be in for differen't corps? like capitol regiment, or crossmen?

... yes.

If you really want to march Bluecoats (eventually, if not this year) then go there and find out what's up. You don't want to not live up to your potential, whatever that may be.

If you are cut, consider Div 2/3 for a year. I only was able to march Div 3 (class A back then), but I had a great time, and the stories you read on DCP happening in top Div 1 corps are the same stuff we went through.

Practice.

I second that. My advice to you is that you march SOMEWHERE. You won't regret it.

Wanting to march Bluecoats because they're close to home is great! How many of last year's members were from Stark/Summit counties anyway?

Wanting to march Bluecoats because they're top 4 and aiming higher is great too! But you don't have to march top 4 or 6 or whatever to have a great experience, learn a ton, and have the time of your life. So if you don't make Bluecoats, check out one of the other corps that are relatively near you.

My geography skills have suffered since leaving the public school system.. but in the midwest there are a few..

http://www.dci.org/corps/list.cfm?division...FC-F9D0F3A8702C

that's the link to the Div II page with all the DII corps and their websites on it.

http://www.dci.org/corps/list.cfm?division...D1-A50550B7A6CF

That's the DIII page.

Colt Cadets and Memphis Sound would likely be closest for you (though, like I said, my geography skills pretty much suck).. but there are a few DIII corps (Cap Sound, Racine Scouts..) in the Wisconsin area -- not quite Ohio, but being such small corps, your parents wouldn't be sending you off on a DI tour your first year out.. you'd likely end up housing with a corps family for the summer while you're not on tour..

Worth checking into, for sure.. it may be a way to ease your parents into the idea of their baby being gone all summer.. (I know you're 17.. but see it from their POV.. you're still their baby).

Do keep us posted.. I really hope you audition and enjoy the experience, however you end up having it this first season.

Stef

do they look for exact stick heighths also in your audition? from what ive seen at the camps everyone looked pretty similiar, anything i could work on to improve for what they look for?

Wouldn't that be something they'd judge based on how you do in the line, not individually?

There's no great secret to auditioning for Drum Corps. What you've had so far is pretty much it.. pay attention to the advice you've been given and I guarantee you, your audition will be worthwhile and valuable as a learning experience -- whether you make one or all of the corps you audition for..

I have to agree with Phil.

If you show up willing to learn what they teach you.. flexible to changes in style.. willing to try and give your best effort -- that will keep you in their minds.

Also (and I can't stress this enough) -- don't isolate yourself from the kids who are returning. At mealtimes, smile and say hello.. ask if you can join them at their table.. be polite but make friends.

Sometimes I think auditions are more about how well you "fit in" than how well you can play when you get there. A good instructor can teach ANYONE to play. You can't teach someone how to fit in.

Go to have a good time and learn a lot.. you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

Stef

Perfect

Socialize, talk and crack jokes (when appropriate), and don't be a loner sitting in the corner with a plate of food in your face. You could have the fastest hands in the world, but it won't do you any good if you can't interact and be a part of the other 134 members in your group.