Dr. Beat

I just wanted to stir up some dialogue about Dr. Beat, so I'll throw a couple of questions out there...

1) Does any corps currently in existence NOT use Dr. Beat?

2) When was Dr. Beat first used by drum corps, and WHAT WAS USED BEFORE THAT?

3) What affectionate (or otherwise) nicknames did your corps have for Dr. Beat?

I hope that this discussion does not cause any of you to develop any nervous ticks, twitches or other psychological problems...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about #1 or #2-- but our marching band director calls it 'the good doctor'. Not too original-- but hey. ^^

I hate Dr. Beat! I have it and I use it but when working with a corps...I Hate It!

LOL

MY marching band (ya ya I know it's a corps board) hates the doctor. However, they tend to play pretty good time by the end of the seson when we turn it off. Worst part though, is the times when we turn it off early season. Man that's tough. They are soooooo used to it that it just kills.

We were in a small Iowa town for a whole week rehearsing for DCM when our instructors whipped out good ole dr. beat one day. We just happened to be on a field next to where a girls softball tournament was going on. Man, we got an earful from the parents!

In the late 1980's and early 1990's many started to use the long ranger for more than just amplifying the voice on the tower.

And the metronome was attached via patch-chord.

Of course there was a learning curve, such as: People putting it on the front sideline facing the corps, with staff wondering why nobody could play together...(lol).....and other incorrect uses.

There were many instructors who used the good old red jam block, and the metronome on their shoulder (holding it like a telephone) as late as 1996-97.

It probably can be said this was not good for your hearing.

By the late 90's and early 00's it seemed as if most corps had 2-4 Long Rangers. Now a days it seems as if every section has one.

Our marching band presently uses 5 of them. Althought the recent trend has been to use it less and less.

It is a useful tool if used correctly and sparingly....(Personally, we have been to both extremes on this over the years...probably too much at one time, and not enough in the beginning) Now, it seems as if it's use has reached a middle ground.

In the mid 80's, 1986, I think specifically, Spirit's DM used the Dr. with headphones on, so that only he could hear the tempo. They, like a singing group, were referred to as, "Dr. Beat and the Headphones".