Dr. Beat

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now--I wonder if anyone else laments the CURRENT Dr. Beat as opposed to the mid-80s model. The one I was trained on was analog, and had a big dial on it. So you could increase or decrease the tempo and not "skip a beat". Now, you have that stupid up and down arrow keys and every time you press it to increase the tempo, it messes up the beat. I MUCH prefer to older model.

you can program the tempos into the new ones, so you can have the whole show in it with all the tempo changes and move from one to the next with one press of the button

THAT'S IT! That's what BDB uses, a Yamaha Clickstation!

Madison 1987 Steve Weekes and I had Yamaha drum machines... He had an RX-11 and I had an RX-5 (I think-I mix it up with the mazda RX-7)... :P Anyway, we used guitar amps and pumped click tracks from our machines especially during the winter program. In fact, later we configured music using click tracks, along with ritards and other tempo changes-which I don't believe Dr. Beat can do even now... Of course, my RX-5 ran me about $1300 at the time, which probably also blows Dr Beat out of the financial water still today.

One thing we learned early was that the drum line began to sound like a metronome when it was used continuously. So, we used it only about once or twice a week over the summer... When a line bends time together, it's pretty cool (sometimes, of course) B)

One thing that bothers me even today, is that decay sound on the clicks from DB... That sqeaky overtone which takes away from the attack on the sound... I'd take the muted cowbell sound with the striker holding a small metronome in the backfield... :)

We used it pretty much all summer, especially during visual block. I haven't done it another way, so I can't tell you if it helped or not. We've been using it with my college band this year though and it's a blessing.

On the negative side after tour, hearing it echo from a nearby high school every morning ... grrr!

At the loudest, highest pitch....I affectionally call it "the skull pierce." It's like an electronic "ice pick" in the side of the head. It DOES get your attention!!! b**bs

The Doctor is in.

We used the doctor in pretty much all of the marching ensembles I've been in/taught. It's great when the box sends someone backfield to work it, and they have no clue how to do so, so they start it at the wrong tempo, miss a change, etc. and the entire corps is marching approximately where they should be and the metronome is at 2/3 time. Ahhh.

At the hs where I teach, I was imitating the voice one day and one of the students asked me if it was actually me on the doctor. I was like "Yeah, that's me. I'm on the Doctor Beat."

At the hs where I teach, I was imitating the voice one day and one of the students asked me if it was actually me on the doctor. I was like "Yeah, that's me. I'm on the Doctor Beat."

AHHHHH!!! HELGA'S ALIVE! :P :lol:

HAHA all these stories make me laugh, the one huge drawback that the new DB-90's have is that they eat 9-Volt batteries like their is no tomorrow. I don't even want to think how many packages we went through. But on the plus side it is fun to play pranks with the Doc. Say for instance when your drill set is 2.5 steps inside the back sideline on the 50 switching the tempo setting to play a drum groove instead of the tempo :-P

Good old Dr.

A corps I taught left our borrowed Dr. Beat on top of 3 levels of scaffolding once. When we came back from lunch the Dr. Beat and Long Ranger were gone.

I bought a Tama Rythm Watch metronome for the drumline once, someone liberated it from me before the end of camp. I have to say that was one of the few times I've been robbed at drumcorps, but this time it hurt the most because I knew it was someone in our organization.