The 2006 Cavaliers.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It absolutely IS speculation.

You're hilarious.

So what you are telling me is that playing a complete 2-3 minute piece of music in which you don't rest very much is easier than playing 20 seconds, resting for a while and repeating? ANY idiot teaching musicians would know what the difference was.

Yea, some one started winning with it and the rest followed. Where is the art in that?

Bottom line; it is COMPETITION; first and foremost. And the rules and diciplines of the activity have changed; so the demands of the writing and design have changed along with it.

And it remains to be seen whether what is happening with a realtively young activity (in artistic terms..) will stand the test of time and be remembered 2-300 years from now. Let's not get too serious with it here. Just enjoy what the kids have done. Relax...have a drink... :mmm:

Gotta get back to work now.... <**>

No, I'm telling you that NOT being a 2-3 minute work doesn't suddenly invalidate it as complex and "depth-y".

ANY idiot who teaches music will tell you that.

So what you are telling me is that playing a complete 2-3 minute piece of music in which you don't rest very much is easier than playing 20 seconds, resting for a while and repeating? ANY idiot teaching musicians would know what the difference was.

Maybe you can elevate your level of class and gain some acceptance, if you stop the name calling, sarcasm, and drug references.......hmm ??

And you are so misguided its funny, please continue.

~G~

Tell you what, get 3 Cavies recordings from the 80's three from the 90's and three from the 2000's. Listen to them back to back and notice how much LONGER and more developed the music is the earlier the decade. Then go back and time how long the horn line plays. You will notice that the phrases now days are chopped, shorter and lack development. You will also notice that the brass do not play as long as they used to.

When you don't have to sustain a long phrase or play fully developed music, the task of performing is easier. This is not speculation here. If you want to drink the cool-aide the Cavies are giving you thinking that they are playing some high quality literature then go right ahead.

Well.. aside from the obvious bitterness you've got going here, you said yourself earlier, this style wins championships.

I stand by my assertion that your opinion would probably change if you spent a summer in one of Bertman's lines.

Oh and the "kool-aid" I'm supposedly being fed from Cavaliers (I presume you are referring to my comment about your misguided opinion on developed music and depth.. and what I know as a professional musician), that's not where I got it.

I got it from actually BEING a professional musician and using not fully developed, depthless exercises and music to build and solidify my technique.

But yeah, you obviously are right and I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess I better tell my clients now that what they hear when I perform lacks musicality and depth since I didn't develop my technique on fully developed, deep music .. because otherwise, they probably wouldn't know.

Maybe I should offer them a discount, too, huh?

All sarcasm aside, the BONUS is developing greater musicianship through participation.. the OBJECT of the GAME is still "to win."

Edited by ScribeToo

Bottom line; it is COMPETITION; first and foremost. And the rules and diciplines of the activity have changed; so the demands of the writing and design have changed along with it.

And it remains to be seen whether what is happening with a realtively young activity (in artistic terms..) will stand the test of time and be remembered 2-300 years from now. Let's not get too serious with it here. Just enjoy what the kids have done. Relax...have a drink... :mmm:

Gotta get back to work now.... <**>

:wink:

except the work part...yuk !

~G~

When did I ever say drum corps was art?? It's a competition.

Is drum corps not art? Isn't that the endeavor? From the DCI web site:

Drum Corps International (DCI) is a nonprofit youth organization serving junior drum and bugle corps around the globe. From modest beginnings in 1972, DCI has developed into a powerful youth activity with artistic and organizational influence on the world's drum and bugle corps, marching bands, and related activities. Regional, focus, sponsored, and sanctioned shows have brought the drum corps experience to several million more in hundreds of towns and cities throughout North America.

Aren't we supposed to be educating kids and audiences alike? THATS my problem with it. We are turning out kids who perform snippets of music and think that is what music should be or is artistic.

If your mind is soley on competetion then no wonder music and music education is in the shape its in.

Is drum corps not art? Isn't that the endeavor? From the DCI web site:

Drum Corps International (DCI) is a nonprofit youth organization serving junior drum and bugle corps around the globe. From modest beginnings in 1972, DCI has developed into a powerful youth activity with artistic and organizational influence on the world's drum and bugle corps, marching bands, and related activities. Regional, focus, sponsored, and sanctioned shows have brought the drum corps experience to several million more in hundreds of towns and cities throughout North America.

Aren't we supposed to be educating kids and audiences alike? THATS my problem with it. We are turning out kids who perform snippets of music and think that is what music should be or is artistic.

If your mind is soley on competetion then no wonder music and music education is in the shape its in.

One mans art is another mans bird cage liner. Your quote and follow up statement dont help your case, it reinforces everyone elses. Who are you to say what is or isnt art ? what does or deosnt work ? What is or isnt appreciated ? You can only speak for yourself, noted, move on.

To call Cavaliers music and performance other than art, is rude, arrogant, misinformed and grinding an axe you have...work your issues out, youll enjoy more.

And by the way, its a competitive activity with artistic influences, not the other way around. Comprehend what you read !!

~G~