The 2006 Cavaliers.

Have we not seen the trend of over-competetion hurting music and music programs? Do we now have fewer corps than we used to? Are music programs being cut around the country? If we aren't teaching the art of it then we stand to loose it some time.

All your questions are valid.. but unrelated to this discussion.

You called it an art. Someone else asked, "when did I ever call it art?" and you quoted DCI's website -- as proof that it's "art."

The point is, DCI, most fans and participants and former marchers recognize that drum corps is first and foremost a COMPETITIVE activity. It is artistic, absolutely. That's part of what adds to its intrinsic value and marketability.. but it is not solely "art" -- its artistic qualities are just part of what makes it what it is.

As to the rest of your questions.. I think we could use a whole other thread to discuss them.. they have little to do with this thread.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the debate between Phantom and Cavaliers, re: brass, I think it's a matter of philosophies. Cavaliers struck me as cleaner than Regiment, while maintaining a better sound.

This is indeed the case. You have Phantom playing complete melodies and phrases with all of the performance difficulties built in to deal with and then you have the Cavies who design their way around those issues. It is unfortunate that drum corps are more interested in winning than helping their performers become stronger musicians through the performance of quality, fully developed music that has depth.

Were you at Finals this year? Did you stay for Cavaliers victory performance?

If not you missed the rebuttal to your own diatribe.

"I didnt say it wasn't art, I just said it is easier to reach a high level of achievement when the "what" is not that hard and as a musican you don't have to play for extended periods or time."

(err . . . quote button not working for me)

Not that hard?

Really?

How dare you say that to any drum corps.

"I didnt say it wasn't art, I just said it is easier to reach a high level of achievement when the "what" is not that hard and as a musican you don't have to play for extended periods or time."

(err . . . quote button not working for me)

Not that hard?

Really?

How dare you say that to any drum corps.

So far I've seen some say the show was not hard, and someone else say the show lacked depth.

All I can say back is LOL. You cant validate these comments by responding to them.

~G~

I think instead of saying it wasn't hard or lacked depth, or doesn't have enough melody, just say you didn't like it. Then you don't disrespect any members, or staff. This personal attack stuff is starting to remind me of 2nd grade.

I need to wait for the DVD release to say more, but I rooted for Phantom all season based on what I read. After watching the broadcast, BASED ONLY ON WHAT ESPN2 showed, I would hands down have given first to Cavaliers (OMG!!!!) second to BD and third to Phantom. I'm sure I'll come around to Phantom when I see the whole show, but the broadcast showed too much of the "acting" and not enough of the corps.

Trying to get back to the topic . . .

What impressed me most about the Cavaliers' design this year was the complete integration of the theme into . . . well, into every aspect of the performance.

Start with the fact that the theme incorporates the corps' nickname itself;

The color guard costumes looked like robots;

The drill included numerous obvious machine references like moving gears and assembly lines;

The entire corps engaged in numerous robotic/mechanical movements throughout;

The music actually SOUNDED like machinery at times, including some unique mettalic sound effects;

A spectator did not need to be told what the corps was trying to portray -- it was extremely clear; and,

As in past productions, all of these elements were coordinated amongst all sections of the corps, throughout the production, to a degree greater than most other corps.

The design was absolutely brilliant. I challenge anyone to identify any other drum corps show in history that portrayed its stated theme more completely, consistently and effectively than the 2006 Cavaliers. The most effective thematic shows that stick out in my mind are Crown 2001 ("Industry"), Madison 1997 (Pirates), SCV 1996 ("La Mer"), Magic 1995 (Animals), VK 1990 (Universal City Tour) and Suncoast Sound's "Florida Suite" -- but none come remotely close to the level of integration that the Cavaliers just achieved.

The total integration and presentation of theme is, IMHO, the greatest achievement of the 2006 Cavaliers. I also believe that since "themes" became de rigeur in the late 80's/early 90's, this is the first show ever to achieve total integration of theme across all design elements. History should view this as a groundbreaking show (in terms of design) on the same plane as 1980 SCV, 1983 Garfield and 1993 Star. A greater achievement than 2002 Cavaliers.

All IMHO.

(Full disclosure: I'm a Cavaliers Alum. But I don't think my bias is influencing this opinion much. Identify a better integrated show to me, and I'll concede the point.)

Edited by ChiBoyinLA

The total integration and presentation of theme is, IMHO, the greatest achievement of the 2006 Cavaliers.

Agreed 100%. The show began as they entered the field from the tunnel. The chanting, the robotic movements, the drum major salute...and every ounce of the show was committed to selling that theme...even after the last lick the solo snare drummer played at the end of the show, they were still selling it. Jeff Fiedler mentioned all the layers afterwards. He wasn't kidding! So many layers to this show, it's ridiculous.