Casella and the tilt......

LSU GRAD 82

I feel that the tilted snare can hide stick height issues though. its harder to read proper stick heights on a tilted snare than it is on a flat snare, therefore a line that has issues with stick heights would benefit from this.

On the other hand, lines like Cavies probablly dont have stick height issues, so therefore its just something they do for the sake of doing.

I dont know about Cavaliers now, but since its still Casella I'd imagine its the same. Back when he was at Vanguard, they didn't care about stick heights and such. All they cared about was quality of sound and cleanliness, hence the tilt for better sound and matched grip, also for better sound. If you look at the audition packets for 04 and 05, they even say on the cover "Don't worry about stick heights or how many rudiments you can play, we only look for good sound quality", so hiding stick heights is not a concern.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My experience has only been traditional with a level drum, but I find traditional + tilt to be visually appealing.

Another DCI season has come and gone, and once again, just like every year previous, the drumline that won percussion in 2007

(Blue Devils and their Dynasty drums) DID NOT have their snare drums tilted. Why does this not surprise me. The proof is in the pudding. The TILT is just a gimmick, plain and simple......

Another DCI season has come and gone, and once again, just like every year previous, the drumline that won percussion in 2007

(Blue Devils and their Dynasty drums) DID NOT have their snare drums tilted. Why does this not surprise me. The proof is in the pudding. The TILT is just a gimmick, plain and simple......

Two things...

I feel bad because I know you were just sitting there waiting for a level drum snareline to win the drum trophy so that you can post that.

and

I am concerned what your definition of proof is. I recall something about 2004 Vanguard winning drums with tilt.

Proof is not in your pudding my friend.

Plain and simple: The tilt works for AND is very helpful to drumlines that employ heavy moeller technique. If they don't, then there is as much use for the tilt as there is for playing with your left hand upside down.

Tell that to the ancient rudimental groups. Not just those that play in the style but the ones that began this art of marching drumming which we hold so dear. The tilt is justified to the grip, plain and simple.

What if a line won the Sanford playing matched grip, would traditional be "a gimmick"?

If you play traditional grip, it only makes sense to tilt the drum.....ummmmmmm, that is WHY the grip developed!It actually makes zero sense to use traditional grip on a flat surface. THAT is a "gimmick". :worthy:

Put your practice pad on a flat table - walk up to it - and play a few rudiments. :lookaround: If you stand there straight up and down and don't lean a bit - then maybe you're right - the tilt is a gimmick. It's quite likely you'll lean to compensate for the grip (which was derived from the tilt in the first place...)

Relaxation in retrospect. B)

Yeah Feist!

Edited by greg jackson

Santa Clara Vanguard won the percussion caption in 2004, and they had tilted snare drums.

Why are you so adamant about pushing your opinion onto others that the tilt has no use?

Santa Clara Vanguard won the percussion caption in 2004, and they had tilted snare drums.

Why are you so adamant about pushing your opinion onto others that the tilt has no use?

We live in the USA. I have a right to express my opinion. It's called fredom of speech. If you don't agree, then express your own. I never once said the tilt has no use. I just don't see what the big deal is. ALL of the DCI Top 12 drumlines would be using it if it was so great. Currently, only a few snarelines do. Why's that?

I was on the DCP site late waiting to see who won finals and just decided to post about Blue Devils winning percussion. Believe me, I would have also posted if the Cavaliers had won percussion with those tilted snares. My point was missed by a few. Why don't more DCI drumlines use the tilt if it's so great. Very few use it.

So Santa Clara won percussion in 04. That's one winner of percussion with tilt in how many years now of the modern era of DCI? Can't think of any of the "Big Boys" using tilt since the early 70's and the invention of levelers. Only recently have a few snarelines used it. There must be a valid reason for that fact........