DCA on TV

Why doesn't DCA get the kind of coverage on TV that DCI has had for all these years?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct Steve

When your budget is $750,000 or more... a reduction in revenue from the DCI share of a couple of thousand dollars means nothing to the corps...

DCA, by its nature, has corps surviving on entire yearly budget's that are less than most DCI bus bills... The fall check to each performing corps is CRITICAL to their survival in almost every instance. To lower that by even a little bit on something like TV coverage that brings ZIP into the corps pockets just would not be a wise decision...

TV can only happen if there is some external advertising to support it... the product certainly justifies it and would come across as well as DCI due to the entertainment emphasis... I'm certain that everyone would jump at the right opportunity, but at this time, the right opportunity has not jumped up to be counted...

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone that under the current financial system, the money in the DCA treasury is returned to ALL corps that participate in regular season sanctioned shows who attend prelims - not just voting members. This is STILL one of the most progressive and unselfish things ever done in drum corps... Music City Legend who competed in 4 sanctioned shows get the same amount for participating in those shows from the share money as does the champion Reading Buccaneers for competing in 4 shows... there is no preference financially due to size, membership status or quality when it comes to dividing up the season's profits. You only increase your share money by competing in more shows...

NOW HOW PROGRESSIVE IS THAT?

DCA, it's members and leadership truly are trying to move the medium forward to new heights and foster growth in the activity from every angle... including creating more competitors and making them more financially viable by rewarding all in an equal way financially.

Normal caviat that I am only an OLD DCA guy who is no longer involved in any way with DCA and do not speak for DCA in any way...

Mr. Peashey- I agree completely. As much as I'd love to see DCA jump into the PBS slot vacated by our Jr. brethren, there's just no way that will happen without major coporate sponsorship.

And yes, DCA is doing the right thing, financially, to perpetuate the activity. I have seen more growth in the all-age ranks recently, compared to DCI.

If it's not broke.....don't fix it! :P

Question answered and more! Thanks guys!

I didn't know about the allocation of performance money to the corps. Brilliant! (all of a sudden I feel like a Guinness....)

Cheers

Jim

How about a program to generate extra income similar to DCI's Friends of DCI. A program like this could generate extra income from sources other than show fees to help pay for programs such as TV for DCA. Just a thought.

I thought that the AJ Wright cash influx might have helped in the PR area and would be another opportunity to give back to the sponsor in a PBS type broadcast with maybe just a highlights format .5 to 1 hr long