Sylvester Sybilski retires...

Of course, if he follows the trend, he very well might end up at Bluecoats next year. :P

Sly was the Bluecoats' Visual Caption Head, I believe, for 1990, 1991 and 1992.

He is a great instructor -- :lol: -- I learned a lot from him when I marched with the Bluecoats and continue to use that "learnin" when I instruct today. It was always a pleasure to see him, even from a distance with his loud shirts and flip-flops!!

Good luck in whatever you do ... and Sly -- if you wouldn't mind joining the Bluecoats as a "consultant" or whatever capacity, I'd be the first to support the move!!!

Edited by BlueR36

Many thanks and congratulations to Sly on an indelible career at the Cavaliers, and also in drum corps.

His involvement in Bluecoat history should be mentioned. Sly was the staff member who first proposed the "penny" tradition/ceremony in 1992. Current corps members still receive their shoelace and link at the first show, as well as their penny on finals day. I know I speak for all alumni of the corps when I say thank you for your mark on the Bluecoats!

So i'm going to be "that guy" and say that last year Kuhn "retired" and all of a sudden was with the Bluecoats, so does this mean that this will be another case.

Probably not, but i'm just as I said being "that guy"

Sly is awesome.

He was always so cool and collected. I remember in my new guy year with the corps, some of the vets described drill cleaning sessions with Sly as a "zen experience".

He was very efficient, very motivational, a great teacher, and was always willing to sit down and tell us stories from "back in the day" when he felt we needed a break. He will be missed.

That said, I would not worry about the future of the visual caption. Whoever steps up in place will be more than qualified to take the head of the caption.

Edited by Jayzer

Sly is a great guy and a wonderful talent. I only had the pleasure to work with him one year when he was with Spirit ('93) but we laughed alot and his talent was obvious even then.

Congratulations to him on a great career and best of luck to him and the Cavies as they both move forward.

Later, AA

• Like 1

Sly is a great guy and a wonderful talent. I only had the pleasure to work with him one year when he was with Spirit ('93) but we laughed alot and his talent was obvious even then.

Congratulations to him on a great career and best of luck to him and the Cavies as they both move forward.

Later, AA

Mr Sybilski had a tough job, no question. His record of success is outstanding. How many times has Cavies won the visual award (both total and under his leadership?)

If that were to happen, I would shoot myself in the foot... :worthy:

Well, that's your perogitive. I'm gonna aim for my head. :)