Music and Visual Integration

Show design  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What's more important for a program?

• Music
    • Visual
    • Both

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that when the shows are announced they don't list the drill moves as the repertoire.

True, but in the effect captions, both music rep and visual rep are given equal weight.

Because in this activity, one without the other makes for an incomplete experience.

If you have music, you have a show, even if you just stand around. If you have no music, you have no show, or not much of one. Even theater and dance, visually driven genres, really don't exist without music. Imagine TV without a speaker. There is no such thing. But, there is TV with no screen, called radio. Music is the glue and without it the rest falls flat.

With that in mind, music is the more important of the two, even if that music is incidental.

Note that when the shows are announced they don't list the drill moves as the repertoire.

I'm with ya here, Although there is TV without a speaker. Well, there are silent movies, anyway. And who here hasn't been to to a sports bar and watched a game on a screen while you hear the sound from a different game or the jukebox?

Music is a high art. Drill is dots on a grid, right up there with Light Bright and aliased 12 dpi graphics. It is not in the same league with any legitimate visual art (sorry, drill guys). The movement of those dots may be very effective and require meticulous planning and rehearsal, but ultimately it is low-res. Drum corps would certainly be less interesting without it, but it would still exist (see the late 70's).

I think I have to strongly disagree with you here. Yes, music is an art in and of itself, but drill can definately be art as well! Are you saying that a great work of art CAN'T be created with light bright? Don't say that, because some crazy artist might do it just to prove you wrong! And drill is only one element that makes up the visual aspect of drum corps. There's also dance, visual art (flags, colors and stuff), theatrical elements. Those are "legitimate" art forms, right? I don't like the term "legitimate" being used to describe genres of art or music anyway. Like someone saying that Wynton Marsalis is an accomplished trumpet player in Jazz AND Legit music. <**>

In terms of experiencing any drum corps show, my personal enjoyment goes as follows...

The lowest rung of the satisfaction ladder: listening to CD's

I enjoy it. A lot, actually. If anything, it can keep me happy during particularly long car drives and such. Doesn't take much effort to stay interested. Ultimately, however, I'd prefer...

The middle rung of the ladder: watching the DVD's (or videos)

Now we're talking about something that absolutely requires your attention. Getting to relive the moments as they happened, it's the closest you can get to actually being there. Which leads me to...

The highest rung on the ladder: LIVE PERFORMANCE

Nothing else comes close. At all. The total package, presented as it was originally meant to be experienced. The sound cutting straight through your chest, the flash of the lights on the horns catching your eyes, the summer nighttime air, the MOMENT of action when it all comes together.

In that respect, I will always choose "both" as an option.

If you have music, you have a show, even if you just stand around. If you have no music, you have no show, or not much of one. Even theater and dance, visually driven genres, really don't exist without music. Imagine TV without a speaker. There is no such thing. But, there is TV with no screen, called radio. Music is the glue and without it the rest falls flat.

Interesting examples, but you're using TV and radio to talk about drum corps. There isn't really a connection there. If I wanted to counter those, I could simply re-examine theater and dance. In both of those activities, the visual is first and foremost, while music exists only to add to the visual. The only problem is that neither TV nor radio nor theater nor dance is drum corps, nor even really that similar, so the usefulness of these examples is rather limited.

Is anybody else waiting for someone to play 4'33" by John Cage? 4'33" of silent drill. Seems right up a couple of corps proverbial allies.

No, but minimalism has been largely untapped so far. I am waiting for someone to perform a truly minimalist show, perhaps similar to SCV's 2003 opener, where the style of minimalism is maintained rather than arranged out. I think such a show would be a perfect stage for an excellent visual package.

That being said, then why put out CDs, DVDs and show it on tv?? :lol:
Seriously? Do you really not know the answer to that question? I would think it's pretty obvious. People enjoy what they see, and DVDs and TV allow them to see it again. CDs allow them to hear the show again (though that's only half the show ^_^). But I don't think there's a drum corps fan to be found who would say that the CDs, DVDs or TV broadcast can compare to seeing a show live.

Every performance is meant to be experienced live. I can watch Blue Man Group on DVD, Cirque du Soleil on TV, I can even watch my favorite sports teams on TV. But there's no question that given the chance I would always rather watch each of those events live.

I also think that it is a good idea to have the cd and dvd, so we can relive the great moments we enjoyed.

What I find interesting is the huge disparity of those who answered other than both. Only 4% or so feel the visual to be more important. Of course both will obviously present a better product so perhaps the real question is should the visual adapt to the music or vice versa? In Ballet for instance the choreography adapts to the music. The music is not re-arranged to adapt to the dance, the dance adapts to the music. It enhances the music.