Music and Visual Integration

Show design  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What's more important for a program?

• Music
    • Visual
    • Both

In terms of experiencing any drum corps show, my personal enjoyment goes as follows...

The lowest rung of the satisfaction ladder: listening to CD's

I enjoy it. A lot, actually. If anything, it can keep me happy during particularly long car drives and such. Doesn't take much effort to stay interested. Ultimately, however, I'd prefer...

The middle rung of the ladder: watching the DVD's (or videos)

Now we're talking about something that absolutely requires your attention. Getting to relive the moments as they happened, it's the closest you can get to actually being there. Which leads me to...

The highest rung on the ladder: LIVE PERFORMANCE

Nothing else comes close. At all. The total package, presented as it was originally meant to be experienced. The sound cutting straight through your chest, the flash of the lights on the horns catching your eyes, the summer nighttime air, the MOMENT of action when it all comes together.

In that respect, I will always choose "both" as an option.

That's because you're adding an element to each rung of the ladder. Thematically and from a design standpoint, there probably is more emphasis on music, because that's what holds the entire drum corps together. Sure, during a performance music and visual responsibilities are given equal weight, but the music is the foundation for the entire show in most cases. my 2cents

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said "both" but it appears in todays "Modern" drum and bugle corps (as Mr. Delucia pegged it), the visual is more important.

And George Z. used to say, he would write the drill around the music, so what does that tell you?

What I find interesting is the huge disparity of those who answered other than both. Only 4% or so feel the visual to be more important. Of course both will obviously present a better product so perhaps the real question is should the visual adapt to the music or vice versa? In Ballet for instance the choreography adapts to the music. The music is not re-arranged to adapt to the dance, the dance adapts to the music. It enhances the music.

But saying "we must write the drill to the music" cuts you off from a whole range of ideas for no real reason. Why limit the creativity because of some outdated principle? Of course there are times when you should mold the drill to the music. But there may also be some great visual ideas that would work a lot better if you had the leeway to tinker with the music. I can't think of any good reason to limit the musical and visual designers with a "music comes first" policy. Let them work as a team to come up with the best total show. The two aspects will be contributing to each other when necessary.

You should mold the drill to the music when that fits best. And you should mold the music to the drill when that fits best.

I'm not sure the poll was worded clearly enough that I understand it's intentions.

The essence of what makes a Drum Corps a "Corps" is everyone working as a unit to achieve one end.

To ask "Which is more important, the music or the visuals" is like asking "Which is most important for a pizza, the crust or the sauce?"

To which the answer is "Without both, you might have something tasty ... but it just isn't a pizza!"

I wonder if the question was more about all of the "pageantry" that is going on during most Drum Corps shows now?

In that case the question would be more along the lines of,

"What is more important to make an award winning pizza, a really good pie (crust and sauce) or having tons of exotic toppings?"

Mmmm.

I gotta go get a snack now. :blink:

The music can & will move you in ways a visual trick or drill move never will.

Sure great drill moves are awesome, but where would they be without the music to make sence of them?

I think it would be funny if someone wrote a guard routine, no music & out of thin air, then went to a corps & said, "Write music & drill to fit this routine."

Edited by garfield_cadets

The music can & will move you in ways a visual trick or drill move never will.

What I mean by that is the music, in & of itself, can move you in such a manner.

Drum corps without the visual is simply a RF loud orchestra... sans woodwinds, strings, and all that jazz. :blink: