Dynasty Trumpet

QuebecSOP

Hello everybody.

The new Alumni corps from Quebec City, Les Diplomates, are seeking for a full line of 64 to 72 brass.

The best prices we have right now are with Dynasty. I heard a lots of good comments concerning everything except their trumpet.

I want to know your advices or comments concerning the trumpets of these brand, especially the model with the micro-tuning thing.

The groups who play on those trumpet seem to have more intonation problem, blend difficulties or sound quality issues compared to the group who play on King or Yamaha trumpet.

I know some groups try to sell their Dynasty horn line to buy King or Yamaha. I want to know the reason because we don't want to spend more than 70000$ to 80000$ in something wrong.

Well, I just want to know if we do a goog bargain in buying those instruments, especially the trumpets.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Mario Beaulieu

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about intonation problems, the Devils seem to do alright on their Dynastys. The Dynastys I have seen and tried recently have seemed much improved over the old DEG lines. Not the best, but good for the money.

The micro tune feature seems similar to the TAN (tune any note) slide on my Kanstul mello. It is interesting and marginally useful, but when I am listening down to the lower voices more often then not I am lipping myself into tune. If I were putting a line together I might skip this feature if money was tight. Just teach them to listen and adjust.

If a trumpet needs a lever connected to the main tuning slide to play in tune, they didn't build a trumpet. They built an out of tune paperweight that looks like a trumpet. Some of the other instruments need them from time to time, but a good trumpet doesn't.

Edited by John Schmitt

every dynasty horn (euph/baritone) i have played on was a bag. it made me want to quit playing music it was so bad. it is much more difficult to play with good blend and intonation in a group with dynasty horns. ...my 2 cents

ps. bd PLEASE PLAY YAMAHAS!

ps. BD PLEASE PLAY KING OR KANSTUL!

I don't know about intonation problems, the Devils seem to do alright on their Dynastys. The Dynastys I have seen and tried recently have seemed much improved over the old DEG lines. Not the best, but good for the money.

the Devils dynastys are not stock horns, they are special hand picked and hand tweaked horns.

Dynasty low brass,,,GOOD!

Dynasty Trumpets??????

They don't call them NASTY for anything.

ps. BD PLEASE PLAY KING OR KANSTUL!

the Devils dynastys are not stock horns, they are special hand picked and hand tweaked horns.

BD used to play on Kings and Kanstuls

The micro tune feature seems similar to the TAN (tune any note) slide on my Kanstul mello. It is interesting and marginally useful, but when I am listening down to the lower voices more often then not I am lipping myself into tune.

the Baris that BD used from.. the mid-late 90s all had tune any notes.. just about every note had a position for the slide.. you can hear it clearly in mp3s/recordings of the hornline doing warmup excersizes

If a trumpet needs a lever connected to the main tuning slide to play in tune, they didn't build a trumpet. They built an out of tune paperweight that looks like a trumpet. Some of the other instruments need them from time to time, but a good trumpet doesn't.

If you play your trumpet (or any other brass instrument) without constantly tweaking your tuning slides, you're not playing a trumpet, you're just making noise.

They're called "tuning slides" for a reason.

every dynasty horn (euph/baritone) i have played on was a bag. it made me want to quit playing music it was so bad. it is much more difficult to play with good blend and intonation in a group with dynasty horns. ...my 2 cents

ps. bd PLEASE PLAY YAMAHAS!

Oh, god no. Aside from the Yahama trumpets, the rest of the horns are not good at all. Especially thier baritones. Yeek.

BD's brass sounds outstanding on the equipment they have.

Oh, god no. Aside from the Yahama trumpets, the rest of the horns are not good at all. Especially thier baritones. Yeek.

I don't know about their trumpets, but the new Yamaha Euph I played at DCI semi-finals seemed like a decent horn. It was at least comfortable to hold and played well. It seemed a little stuffy in the low end, relative to the King, but I wasn't guessing which hand went where on the Yamaha. The yamaha frenchie on the other hand was kind of horrible. The King frenchie was kind of nice.

From what I've seen of Deg Euphs, I marched a 2 valve prototype in junior corps, and it had a nice sound, but intonation was really whacked on it. I own a Deg 3 valve G Euph, which I bought used of course. It's much stuffier than my Kanstul, but seems to have better intonation in the high end. I've gotten rather spoiled with my Kanstul 3 valve G Euph with it's tune any note slide. I also got a Deg 3 valve Bb Euph this year and it's better than the Deg G Euph, but not as good as the Kanstul G in terms of lack of stuffyness. The Deg Bb Euph does seem to have the best intonation so far, but I really haven't played it that much.

From what I've seen of Deg, they offer the best package deal and the best value for the money. I don't think they're the best horns, but they are the best horns that most corps can afford. And then there's some that have custom Degs, that seem to prefer them over others, including Kanstuls.