Drum Corps Research Paper

I have to write a paper for Music Theory and i decided to do it on the history of drum corps. anyone have any ideas for where i could start and what i should really focus my main work on? he said that if i can, i should focus on one individual that really helped the organization.

I have to write a paper for Music Theory and i decided to do it on the history of drum corps. anyone have any ideas for where i could start and what i should really focus my main work on? he said that if i can, i should focus on one individual that really helped the organization.

Hey Patrick, pm me and I might can help you out there...

Edited by Lancerlady

Patrick- Massive undertaking, man. I did a high school term paper for senior English on "The History of Drum Corps." Forty-two pages, typewritted, single spaced. Due to the fact that my only sources were Drum Corps News and Drum Corps Digest, and 'heresay' from members....it did not meet the criteria set by the NY State Board of Regents, as far as a legitimate bibliography, blah, blah, blah. So, I got an "F" on the term paper, failed senior English, and they wouldn't return my stinkin' term paper!

Here's the kicker...The teacher said it was one of the best term papers she had ever seen from a high school student, and that it was obvious the topic meant a lot to me, etc. Oh well....

I think it would be a cool idea to get in touch with some of the greatest "living legends" in Drum Corps, and interview them.

Check with your teacher first though, concerning footnotes, bibliography, documentation, etc.

Good-luck sir. B)

Man, that is one tough subject to cover. You're basically talking 1920 until present day. On the other hand, you can probably do a lot with it too. If it were me, I would probably start with a general history of the activity and take it "through the years". Its military heritage, how instumentation evolved, how women became more incorporated into the program, how the music became more sophisticated etc. etc. Then I would hit on the contemporary side of things by contacting someone like a Jeff Fiedler or one of his fellow directors and ask them for their own perspective. The world is your oyster - go out and get what you want. Good luck. :)

Well, since you're doing this for Music Theory, why don't you try narrowing your focus and gearing it towards the curriculum of the class?

For instance:

Brass and Ensemble Arranging for Drum Corps, A Comparison of Eras.

Choose two or three significant drum corps eras (probably you'll want to do eras that are relatively recent -- 1960 - 1970, 1980 - 1990, 2000 and beyond..). Then you have a concrete project goal: to show the differences in arranging styles (and even how the rules impacted the changes) between the different eras of this niche activity.

Then you have source options like contacting arrangers who actually DID arranging during these eras to interview them (that's why I recommended recent eras.. so these guys are still around to talk to).. you can focus on corps who were known for their music captions during that time and research on their websites, through DCWorld and through live interviews with the guys who did it.

I bet you'll get extra points for making your term paper apply to the class curriculum.

Bottom line.. narrow your focus as much as possible. You'll want to include as much info as you can, but you'll learn quickly that you'll be overwhelmed with the volume of information needed to "sell it."

It could help to write up an outline now. Write your thesis statement .. then draw an outline so you can put the pieces together to support your statement.

Good luck!

Stef

Well, since you're doing this for Music Theory, why don't you try narrowing your focus and gearing it towards the curriculum of the class?

For instance:

Brass and Ensemble Arranging for Drum Corps, A Comparison of Eras.

Choose two or three significant drum corps eras (probably you'll want to do eras that are relatively recent -- 1960 - 1970, 1980 - 1990, 2000 and beyond..). Then you have a concrete project goal: to show the differences in arranging styles (and even how the rules impacted the changes) between the different eras of this niche activity.

Then you have source options like contacting arrangers who actually DID arranging during these eras to interview them (that's why I recommended recent eras.. so these guys are still around to talk to).. you can focus on corps who were known for their music captions during that time and research on their websites, through DCWorld and through live interviews with the guys who did it.

I bet you'll get extra points for making your term paper apply to the class curriculum.

Bottom line.. narrow your focus as much as possible. You'll want to include as much info as you can, but you'll learn quickly that you'll be overwhelmed with the volume of information needed to "sell it."

It could help to write up an outline now. Write your thesis statement .. then draw an outline so you can put the pieces together to support your statement.

Good luck!

Stef

Where did you go to school!!!! no matter where you are posting, it's sooo intelegent and thought out! are you a genious or something!

.... he said that if i can, i should focus on one individual that really helped the organization.

Perhaps your teacher is unfamiliar with Drum Corps, but those people are too many to count. That would include everyone from directors to bus drivers. I would go with a broad approach, but that's JMO.