Phantom Regiment Guard - Coed in 2007?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you'll know this better that I will. What was the last time an all female guard won?

was it regiment in 88? 86?

Can you believe it was all the way back in 1988 that the Phantom Regiment and the all "juliet' colorguard won high guard ? Sso subtle, understated and elegant was their guard that year. Extremely tight and together. However, I stand corrected,while 88 PR was an all female gaurd, the last one to win was indeed the 1990 Blue Devils, That was the last all female guard to win the title.

Another intersting fact: An all-male guard only won once before the Cavaliers took guard in 2000.

It was the 1983 Madison Scouts with an absoultely suicidal rifle book and solid total package.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

what i was referencing were the guys who throw rifle 7s and 8s, you dont really see girls doing that

Most co-ed guards don't restrict members to one piece of equipment...everyone is proficient on flag, sabre and rifle. Though there were segments of BD's show this year where the rifle line was all male, there were just as many moments in the show that included women who executed the same moves, tricks and tosses as their guy counterparts. The same could be said for Cadets, Bluecoats and, most notably Carolina Crown, whose rifle line included 4 girls who were more than a match for the guys.

I also don't understand the argument as to why an all-female guard can't be competitive. Some argue it's about strength but, as illustrated above, women are just as capable of the big moves as men. Others feel that the trend towards dance necessitates partner moves -- if so, then how do you explain the success of the Cavaliers?

I, for one, hope Phantom retains the all-female guard. Dare to be different; dare to buck the trend; be unique. Stick to your traditions.

Somewhat off-topic, but am I the only one who actually finds it kind if distracting when a corps has basically an all-female guard with maybe three or four guys thrown in? Especially if they're in different costumes? (I'm not talking about something like PR '06, where the guys were a seperate featured section, but when they're fully integrated.) I know they're just going with the best members they can get, but if you can't attract enough men to actually form a significant percentage of the color guard (say, at least 1/4), should the staff just go ahead and make the decision to go all-female?

I had completely forgotten Blue Devils in 1990 - that was one weird show (I loved it).

But - back then you could win best guard without a weapon line, and guard score didn't impact overall score. It was all about GE (Those of us who marched in the '80s remember all the wacked out equipment we had to spin). Phantom's '88 win was with an all flag show.

I don't know if there's a point to be made with that, just thought I'd throw it out there. :music:

Later,

Mike

Somewhat off-topic, but am I the only one who actually finds it kind if distracting when a corps has basically an all-female guard with maybe three or four guys thrown in?

No, you're not the only one. I find it particularly glaring when the staff has obviously written the show for all girls and makes no attempt to accommodate the guys, often putting them in very unflattering outfits and having them perform less-than masculine movements.

Eh, you do what's best for the group as a whole. Those guys most likely knew going in it would have been a more feminine style, and chose to do so anyway. Some guys even like a more feminine style better (say it ain't so! :P). I just think costumes should try to all look alike; I really dislike when guys' costumes vary greatly from girls costumes.

Also, allowing both genders just gives you competitive advantage. You have a greater talent pool to choose from and can work of strengths and weaknesses of a greater amount of people. That's why many companies now adays are promoting diversity in the workforce.

Edited by zackiedude

No, you're not the only one. I find it particularly glaring when the staff has obviously written the show for all girls and makes no attempt to accommodate the guys, often putting them in very unflattering outfits and having them perform less-than masculine movements.

agreed. Look at BD 2002 durring house of the rising sun... there were some very unmanly moves.