DCA PERC RULES REVIEW

Storkysr

Yes Sir.

On this we definetly agree which is why i dont see any need for radical change.

Were the Bucs and Cabs both worthy of the title this year?

Were the Bucs and MBI the top cats last year?

were MBI and Bucs the tops in 04?

and MBI and the Brigs tops in 03? And in each year there may have been one other team who could have gotten in the mix, but i certainly think that each of those groups is worthy of the top spot. This is why

i dont see the need for an overhaul.

Again, tweak some things.... but dont amputate the leg because of a broken toe nail

I hope you can say the same thing in a few years when the sheets become nothing more than MUSIC EFFECT !!

That's when your percussion program will have NO significance whatsoever, like MOST field band conferences !

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you can say the same thing in a few years when the sheets become nothing more than MUSIC EFFECT !!

That's when your percussion program will have NO significance whatsoever, like MOST field band conferences !

Sir,

Isnt that the point?

Isnt it the point of the percussion (or the brass or the colorguard) to be musically or visually effective within the parameters of the designed program?

Sir,

Isnt that the point?

Isnt it the point of the percussion (or the brass or the colorguard) to be musically or visually effective within the parameters of the designed program?

All bow your heads ! The 'spirit of competition' has just died !!

With all due respect drumminman...

The activity we do is drum and bugle corps. Not concerto for snare drum and accompanyment corps. You must be musically or visually effective within the parameters of the designed program. You must run the gambit. No, that doesn't mean that if you play more notes that you'll get credit for it. No that doesn't mean that lines aren't competitive or that we have given up our right to play percussion the way we want to, just for a score. It just means that we are comparing the WHAT and the HOW of each group. That's it. There is no hidden agenda to reward adequacy. It is a derived achivement system.

You must judge each group separately on what they do and how they do it - within the parameters of the designed program

It has worked, and will continue to.

Edited by tempotantrum

With all due respect drumminman...

The activity we do is drum and bugle corps. Not concerto for snare drum and accompanyment corps. You must be musically or visually effective within the parameters of the designed program. You must run the gambit. No, that doesn't mean that if you play more notes that you'll get credit for it. No that doesn't mean that lines aren't competitive or that we have given up our right to play percussion the way we want to, just for a score. It just means that we are comparing the WHAT and the HOW of each group. That's it. There is no hidden agenda to reward accuracy. Is is a derived achivement system.

You must judge each group separately on what they do and how they do it - within the parameters of the designed program

It has worked, and will continue to.

You're right...the WGI terminology has done just wonders for our acrtivity !

Yes Sir.

On this we definetly agree which is why i dont see any need for radical change.

Were the Bucs and Cabs both worthy of the title this year?

Were the Bucs and MBI the top cats last year?

were MBI and Bucs the tops in 04?

and MBI and the Brigs tops in 03? And in each year there may have been one other team who could have gotten in the mix, but i certainly think that each of those groups is worthy of the top spot. This is why

i dont see the need for an overhaul.

Again, tweak some things.... but dont amputate the leg because of a broken toe nail

Just because I agree that the top 2 lines were placed correctly doesn't mean the other 15 corps were, or don't they count?

actually, perc now is 40 points that gets averaged in with the 40 brass points...what it's divided by i have no idea

Yep, my bad.

Sir,

Isnt that the point?

Absolutely ! Been doing it for years (actually decades), but where does the COMPETITION part come in ?

We will have a year in the not so distant future where 5 or possibly even 6 drumlines will be at an equal 'derived acheivement' level. Their WHAT'S & HOW'S are all going to be at a comparable level, and at the championships each of these percussion sections performed magnificently.

I need to know what the deciding factor will be !

You're right...the WGI terminology has done just wonders for our acrtivity !

When was the last time you were at WGI?

Do think that WGI has been a positve or negative influence on the activity as a whole?