Individual DVD's

See folks, just another instance of DCI neglecting the desires of the fans and corps members. It will be interesting to see how the marketing and merchandising department at DCI succeeds or fails from all of this...Again I say, Grrrrrrr!

if DCI said it was licensing issues it could be similar to KK 2003, where the corps didn't get the clearance, this might not be anything DCI had any control over anyways. If you ever have a chance to get up there and see how few people there are doing so much to keep people happy, you might have a cooler head about stuff like this....

....still waiting for my chance to purchase VK's "Through the Years Video" :music:

I emailed DCI upon returning from Madison asking if they were going to sell "instant DVDs" online like they have in years past and they told me that due to licensing issues they would not be doing that this year.

I wonder what kind of rights issues they have. If they're already selling DVD's of the shows, what's the difference between a single corps' performance and all 12 and/or 24? I know that copyright laws are getting more and more complicated for drum corps and marching band, and all of the forms I've seen/filled out regarding video and music rights are just general (i.e. I've gotten permission to have groups recorded and sold via DVD, not just via DVD on Finalist sets).

Something interesting to note. On the WGI IO and IW Percussion DVD from this past season, there are a few groups who had copyright issues with their show, and have a portion of the show where the audio is removed (for example, the opener is fine and the closer is fine, but the third movement is without sound).

Everything I've experienced I understand that copyrights are trickier now than they were even a few years ago. But can someone with more knowledge explain this?

I went back and reread the email and the term used was "licensing limitations". Still, they could put out non-final versions of the audio but not of the video? I agree, these limitations are very perplexing.