Euphoniums and Baritones

Cavaliers marched 24(!) baritones, no euphs this past year (and have had all baris since at least 2001), I think Bluecoats may have been all baritones too this year, correct me if I'm wrong...

For the most part all the Yamaha lines were all baritone until this year. The euphs that Yamaha offered up until introducing their new 'marching' euphonium was a convertible which was not viable for drum corps. Not sure how many lines fielded the new YEP-202M.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

phantom marched 19 euphs this year

For the most part all the Yamaha lines were all baritone until this year. The euphs that Yamaha offered up until introducing their new 'marching' euphonium was a convertible which was not viable for drum corps. Not sure how many lines fielded the new YEP-202M.

I know Spirit used them this year. And I'm pretty sure Cadets did as well.

phantom marched 19 euphs this year

Regiment marched twenty euphoniums this year.

Pretty sure the YEA groups have been using euphs since 2004.

I know when I was marching (a little bit "back in the day") a lot of corps had their leads play bari and 2nd and 3rd parts play euph.

At Regiment our lines were mixed, whoever could carry the euph got stuck with one.

In 89 we had either 6 or 7 girls spread throughout the line so they got baris and I think all the leads got baris, only 5 or 6 of us marched euph if I recall correctly.

I know for a fact Bluecoats do march euphoniums, don't know how many though. The Yamaha Euphoniums are built so they just look maybe, I dunno a qyarter much bigger than the baritones. But that's just me, I really need to look close to make out a difference.

They had six euphs.

I know when I was marching (a little bit "back in the day") a lot of corps had their leads play bari and 2nd and 3rd parts play euph.

That is the way the Star lines were layed out as well. The King G Euphs were glorious sonorous beasts. Clearly longer and more spread out then the pea-shooter baritones. Not for the weak of back or spirit.

i hate to ask this but whats the dif between a euphonium and Bari? i thought they were the same just one was bigger?

i hate to ask this but whats the dif between a euphonium and Bari? i thought they were the same just one was bigger?

In the real world, the baritone horn is chiefly used in brass bands, and has a cylindrical bore. It has its own unique timbre, but more closely resembles that of a trombone than a euphonium (arguably).

A euphonium has a conical bore, is much bigger than a baritone, probably has a larger bore, and tends to be more sonorous than a baritone.

In drum corps, both the marching baritones and euphoniums are technically euphoniums because of their conical bore, and you are technically correct in saying that "they are pretty much the same, but one is bigger."

edit: also, I've played two different brands of marching baritones, and each brand seemed to be striving for a different sound. The Kanstul baritone I played was a small shank, and seemed to have a smaller bore than the Yamaha baritone I played, which had a bass shank and therefore a larger bore.

edit2: it should be noted that this may all be completely wrong, as I am primarily a saxophonist.

Edited by Jayzer