Euphoniums and Baritones

That is the way the Star lines were layed out as well. The King G Euphs were glorious sonorous beasts. Clearly longer and more spread out then the pea-shooter baritones. Not for the weak of back or spirit.

Mmmm, true "pea shooter" baris were alto baritones. What are now called baritones, were once called bass baritones....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, did any of you 06 Phantom trumpet players have new found respect for your Euph brothers after this summer? I imagine there was a lot of #####in' after the first camp you guys had to carry those things. I woulda payed money to witness it :)

Instrumentation is dictated by programming and arranging. There is no "correct" answer.

Personally, I don't like all baritone or all euph lines...neither instrument is ideal for playing the entire range that you might want the tenor voice to cover. At the top end, the euph is much more difficult to handle and loses it's distinctive sound. Baritones are notoriously difficult to play well below the staff. Having both gives you a strong sound throughout the range and an extra voice to use in designing the show.

It is the Lord's Prayer, and it was always a blast to play that in sub-sectionals with just the low brass in the arc.

I left that summer convinced that a line of all euphs can produce something that just can't be duplicated with baritones - if the players have the arm for it, the heart to keep the thing up, and the air to really play it...then it's one of the most amazing sounds there is.

edit: I don't mean to say that all euphs produces the best sound, just a sonority that baris can't (you don't really hear euphs in the line, you feel them)

Edited by raphael18

I believe that the word Euphonium is of Greek extraction meaning "beautiful sound".

The word's euphonic and you're basically right about its meaning. Funny drum corps coincidence; it's a synonym of the word mellifluous. I'm pretty sure my experience with drum corps actually helped me get a question on the SATs right... It was an analogy and one of the words was mellifluous. I might've known it otherwise, but the drum corps connection kept the word in the back of my head.

The word's euphonic and you're basically right about its meaning. Funny drum corps coincidence; it's a synonym of the word mellifluous. I'm pretty sure my experience with drum corps actually helped me get a question on the SATs right... It was an analogy and one of the words was mellifluous. I might've known it otherwise, but the drum corps connection kept the word in the back of my head.

I was going to guess that it meant something along the lines of "true sound." In biology, cells with a true nucleus are refered to as "eukaryotic" from "eu"= "true/good"and "karyon"="kernel/nut."

Come to think of it, "nut" would have worked for most of our euph line as well... (How do you say "bat**** crazy in Greek?)

Edited by year1buick

The only problem with the King G euphs were the crappy big ### valves...I got carple tunnel from those stupid things...no joke

Big ### valves for a big ### horn. I didn't know you could get carple tunnel from using only two fingers. My only problem with the King G Euphs was all the whining. "My Back, My Arms, My Chops, My Carple Tunnel". Waaahhh. :P