Drum major and judges?

Kjac18

Do you have to be a certain age to be a DCA Drum major or have marched with the corps for a few years? now with that said how do the judges get picked?

how do the judges get picked?

NOW THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION!!!!!

Where the Judges come from. THe DCA voting Corps pick a Judge coordinator and a Caption head for Brass, Visual and Percussion. This group works with Judging associations and circuit around the countyr and a list is prepared. This list is presented to the member Corps. They vote up or down on each judge. This process continues untill the caption Heads feel they have enough Judges to run their Caption.

At that point the Judge coordinator with the help of his Caption Heads assign panels to the various shows around the country. The Championship Panel is usually picked later in the season from Corps imput sent to the Judge Coordinator.

So the bottom line is simply put: The Corps select the judges.

so what if the judge has friends in the corps and thats why they picked him or her!?! so is there enough trust in the ppl that run the DCA comps to say what if somebody in the hornline hit a wrong note and I.E he was supposed to take off 5 points for that but only took 2! i know that prolly wouldn't happen but there are some evil ppl in the world!

Edited by Kjac18

so what if the judge has friends in the corps and thats why they picked him or her!?! so is there enough trust in the ppl that run the DCA comps to say what if somebody in the hornline hit a wrong note and I.E he was supposed to take off 5 points for that but only took 2! i know that prolly wouldn't happen but there are some evil ppl in the world!

The criteria Mr. Pronti just explained (can't say ####) I am sure, has gone through many thought proccesses and has been scrutinized over many years. Eutopia does not exist. Nor does Camelot (at least I don.t think so.... b**bs ). There are very few if any complaints to my knowledge, with the system DCA uses.( Can't predict human nature though).

Having said all that I am sure if the powers to be within DCA can find a better way to build the proverbial "mouseTrap" they will. It's all about trust anyway.....isn't it?

Just my $.02....... :)

Judges have to be "approved" by more than just one or two corps to get there in the first place. So it's highly unlikely they could "catch a ride" with their friends to that sort of position. Also, feedback get's sent all year long about the judges at each show. So things are maintained fairly well, I think.

To answer your other question about drum majors, in the Sunrisers this past year, we had three conductors at various parts of the field. The head conductor on the podium was about 20, our late-season sideline conductor was about 16, I believe, and I conducted backfield. I'm 22. That's hardly the status quo for all of DCA though. Legendary drum majors like Jimmy Russo (of former Caballero fame) & David Bruni of the Empire Statesmen have been on the podium probably as long as I've been around the activity, if not longer. Though, Chris Killian of the Bushwackers is about 26 I think? Bucs DM is fairly young (mid-twenties?) as well. It's a fairly wide range when you look at it.

:blink: Uh, why don't we, um, put the judges on the field...and uh have a corps judge them? Why don't we do that? See how THEY like it... :drool:

Well said #### (Richard)... he didn't say it but be advised that #### (Richard) was judging coordinator for most of the 1980's. He knows what he speaks... The process of finding, educating and selecting judges has been amazingly stable for these past forty plus years. It's not easy finding the best possible people, but the process works. In 42 years, I can count the number of problems on one hand and have fingers left over... I think that's pretty amazing...

The Buccaneers' drum major is Josh Decker, who is in his late twenties. He's band director at Conestoga Valley HS in Lancaster, PA. His conducting is first-rate, and his leadership on and off the field is even better.

:laugh: Uh, why don't we, um, put the judges on the field...and uh have a corps judge them? Why don't we do that? See how THEY like it... :laugh:

The vast majority of judges have marched, taught, and designed shows many years prior to becoming judges. They are an easy target, but their job is a rather difficult one.