What is II/III

Div. II/III  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes Div. II/III to you?

• a separate circuit meeting a specific audience need
    • a separate circuit to help introduce drum corps to new marching members
    • a minor league for Div. I
    • other...please reply in a post.

Division II/III is an urban death match of sight and sound, designed to please the gods of pleasure. It’s responsible for all the good things in this world. It’s like an iced white chocolate mocha on a hot summer morning. Those who participate in the division are blessed throughout their life with everlasting happiness and health. Division I is the opposite, and will wither and die a horrible death, despite its ability to entertain the masses. Many lust for the illusive division 1 top 12, but is it worth selling your soul? Its a choice many have to make.

Edited by argonaut

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Div II/III? I don't understand why we're even discussing this... It's a different level of drum corps but it's still drum corps...I am glad to see that Div II/III is growing and becoming more recognized however...I'm also just glad to see any drum corps that can come back from being inactive or folded in Div II/III...that just seems harder when youre smaller and get less recognition.

Edited by Star93Fan

Again folks...how can a survey miss the point when it allows you...the reader...to input your own response...your own opinion?

The question again...for those who MISSED THE POINT...

What is Div. II/III?

The point I was making and trying to say was the fact that drum corps is drum corps; divisions should mean nothing and this thread should not exist. Why would you want to degrade Divs II/III by calling them "minor league" or that they are just a stepping stone. If you ask any director or staff member of a Div II or Div III corps, they will tell you that they are there to teach they kids how to play and to give them an experience that they couldn't get anywhere else. (I know I can't speak for the director and staff members because I don't know them, but that should be all they truly care about).

The point I was making and trying to say was the fact that drum corps is drum corps; divisions should mean nothing and this thread should not exist. Why would you want to degrade Divs II/III by calling them "minor league" or that they are just a stepping stone.

Just so you can be set straight..I as the author of this topic, never called II/III minor league. It's what is commonly said on the Div. I threads. I guess my point is...where's the crowd to see II/III shows? How does II/III get some share of the marketing? How does II/III draw more fans to this very....NO....extremely cool part of the drum corps family?

I figured...if we can define it...we can market it. But, if participants, members, fans, followers, can't define it...than it makes it much more difficult for marketing to take place.

Maybe an easier question to ask...what is not II/III?

The new re-alignment

Division one should be two separate div one's,

The top 10 divison one corps will tour nationally, the additional 17 will become regional div one corps.

Div two/three will be regional corps, all corps will compete within their region, and maybe a adjoining region.

There will be 25 large regional competitions were the TOP 10 div one corps show up, maybe 5 at each show, 5 to 7 regional div ones corps, the 5- 8 div II/IIII corps show up, now you.ve got yourself a 15 to 20 corps show.

The question is where do you have regionals, I live on the west coast, so I'll use the west cost as an example.

Regionals would be

San Diego,

Los Angeles 2 shows

Phoenix

San Francisco are 2 shows

Seatlle

Oregon

More corps more people, more money

This doesn't mean you would not other shows, they just would be smaller.

Now only 10 corps have to travel 25,000 miles, everyone else stays closer to home.

What do you all think....

If Div. II corps can handle a full-tour (i.e. Memphis Sound, Blue Stars, etc.) - they should be able to do it, not required to stay "close to home" and tour regionally. It's a good experience for members that want the whole full-tour aspect of drum corps and should be left up to the corps to decide whether their own organization is capable, not sanctioned by another organization such as DCI.

Division II and Division III corps should not be considered as 'feeder corps' For DI corps. They are smaller and often have younger members who cannot participate in the longer DI schedule - school interferes (as it should). DI wants us to be "feeder corps" but does DI understand that Division II and Dision III corps members are often still in high school, some of the members may want to go on to DI's schedule/level; but most of the kids just want a chance to participate in high level competitions to see if they can.

IMHO many of the non DI corps members are more than willing to give competition/cooperation all the time/effort the sport requires - but can't because of school (they aren't college students) many of them are high school students (some are junior high (middle school) students.

Should we (the fans) ignore them? (And let their nascent talent wither on the vine), or should we support them - so that their talent grows beyond narrowly defined limits?

Look at the scores ---from the last ten years, and consider the intensity of the competitions, before you write off the smaller/younger kids level of performance/entertainment value!

Division II and Division III seem to be much more competitive, and entertaining, than DI; we don't know who is going to finish in the top five, let alone the top three until Finals are over and done with! Can DI say the same?

Just so you can be set straight..I as the author of this topic, never called II/III minor league. It's what is commonly said on the Div. I threads. I guess my point is...where's the crowd to see II/III shows? How does II/III get some share of the marketing? How does II/III draw more fans to this very....NO....extremely cool part of the drum corps family?

I figured...if we can define it...we can market it. But, if participants, members, fans, followers, can't define it...than it makes it much more difficult for marketing to take place.

Maybe an easier question to ask...what is not II/III?

I have nothing against you. My thing is just that I hate the fact that people put us down just because of a number. A corps is a corps, the only difference should be the name and the music (etc) and not how many people you have in your group. But I know we live in a society full of labels and the need to rank everything.

OK, I marched in the minors for many years and then we moved up to the majors. Here's my analogy: Baseball, Hockey are two sports with a SOLID minor league. Since the Twins play in that God forsaken dome, I'll use the baseball analogy. Both the Twins & the Saints play baseball. Same rules, same equipment, same numbers, etc, but in the minors...

1. The talent level is basically the same, with a few young players having slightly less talent, but the potential there is just waiting to be tapped. Players are developed in many different ways including help from their peers.

2. Practices during the off-season are more frequent as players basically work year-round and not just 'after' tryouts.

3. The fans are just as dedicated, if not more, because they are mostly comprised of parents and HARD CORPS fans.

4. For the fan, the price of admission is cheaper and the food is cheaper. There is usually parking on-site and tailgating. Definitely Beer.

5. Venues are more conducive to a intimate game. (The MetroDome sucks, the players look like ants)

6. Players have fun and it shows on their faces. (Ever watched a top-12 CG person following a drop? Big Smile throught Tears & Fear) Not a lot of yelling during practices or when you make a mistake.

7. The buses & housing suck, but they feed you good. You have more off-time and "planned" activites.

8. When you get called up to the majors, everyone is happy for you, even though they know you are in for many hours of unrelenting pressure and stress on top of playing in the MetroDome for fans who boo the umpires.

Oh, ya, almost forgot. Drinking and Fighting. (oops, that's Tremendous Blast, sorry) (www.TremendousBlast.com)

So that's my take, anyway you chalk it up, it's still Drum Corps, it's still takes money, and most of all it takes the dedication and support of the fans to keep it going. I love II/III DC. AND I love the Saints.