What is II/III

Div. II/III  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes Div. II/III to you?

• a separate circuit meeting a specific audience need
    • a separate circuit to help introduce drum corps to new marching members
    • a minor league for Div. I
    • other...please reply in a post.

I think this "survey" is missing what drum corps is all about. Div II and Div III are in those divisions because of size. There are some corps that choose to stay in a "lower" level not because they "suck" but because they enjoy where they are. Imo Div I can be a little overrated. I would much rather stay with my Div III corps than move up to a Div I or even a Div II corps. I'm not saying I am worthy of playing in those "higher" corps, but I am happy where I am. And everyone needs to realize that a corps is a corps, they all have the same mission in mind, teach kids about music, and teach kids how to live.

::steps off soap box::

How could this survey be missing anything since it gave a choice of "other" with an opportunity to explain the "other" in your post. I'm confused...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: i ment i liked the response before the previous one

Edited by Gbassman5

Corps in division 2 and 3 are non-member corps of DCI, competing under DCI's umbrella.

I honestly think that several of the lower end division 1 corps should move to division 2.

What is it now 23 division 1 corps and only half that many division 2s.... hmmm

I honestly think that several of the lower end division 1 corps should move to division 2.

What is it now 23 division 1 corps and only half that many division 2s.... hmmm

ditto, but as usualy a change in dci will result in quite a few angry people~~ :ramd: :worthy: :blah: ~~ <these fine icons here to the left certainly demonstrate some peoples feelings.

btw ive mentioned this before.. what ever happened to the 110 member rule, or the minimum score of 75.00 to remain in div 1 that DCI was toying with?? im not possitive but i thought the 110 member rule was passed ..no??

although i voted as div 2/3 as an introduction to the drum corps experience... its a mix of drum corps being a minor league system and it being based on #'s. Div 1 corps have cadet corps (farm systems under the major organization). and there are some corps that have the #'s to play with the big boys but indeed intend on ruling div 2/3. either way, both ways work and theyre playing the game of DCI.

dont like it?? then either recruit, fundraise more..get better staff?! ..either or.. youve forgotten or simply ignored the initial intentions of the corps to introduce kids into the activity with a MODERATELY** competitive aspect.

thats all for now, adios

Well, I must agree with the Minor League definition. It is clear that there is more of a demand for Major leagues (Div 1) than Minor leagues (Div 2/3). I'm guessing it has to do with 2 things:

1) Not enough marketing

2) Not as much interest

I would also argue that many lower-placing Div 1 corps recieve the same treatment from fans as Div 2/3. I know several people (usually getting into corps for the first time) who could sing you the Cavies' shows for the past 4 years, yet ask "Who's Southwind?"

I think this survey (and everyone who has posted so far) is missing the real point. What is most sad is this trend for people to insist that division II/III should exist for one purpose, and only one.

The fact of the matter is that division II/III is a more diverse group of corps. Some are up-and-comers, assembling all the necessary components for a future division I unit. Others prefer to compete at a different level due to younger or less experienced membership. Some are limited by finances, and field smaller corps by design for that reason. Still others choose to travel less than the division I requirement.

I know what the response to this reality will be - that division II/III cannot be marketed effectively until they choose one of the above for their raison d'etre. I disagree, and I believe division I refutes that premise quite well. How many times has DCI changed their marketing approach? Sometimes they market the sport angle; other days it's the art form. First it was "The Sight of Music", then "The Summer Music Games", now "Marching Music's Major League", and so on. And they're all effective marketing approaches.

I missed no point. All points were considered before posting. After considering your point, I believe that the diversity of Div 2/3 is no less than that of Div 1.

Many Div 1's are assembling new components for a future higher placement at Championships. Some Div 1's try to compete with Top 5 corps though having younger or less experienced membership. Some Are limited by finances (some have folded) and field a smaller corps. Some choose to travel on a regional basis.

I don't believe the above criteria describes a Div 2/3 drum corps, but rather many corps even in Div 1.

I would like things to be different, but based on the fanbase and support of events, I still feel Div 2/3 is the feeder to a more widely known aspect of the activity. How a member feels about 2/3 will be entirely different. I just look at it from a different angle.

Division II and III is drum corps.