San Antonio Crossmen

Boo-Urns...

Tradition isn't worth a dime in Drum Corps these days.

Atleast they won't be continuing the tradition of DCI corps folding. Maybe this was one last ditch effort to keep this organization alive. Would you prefer that the Crossmen fold as an entity and have a new corps with a new name in SA buy X-men's assets? In essence, that's what's happening here but hopefully atleast there's a chance that some of the tradition/lineage can survive the move. I guess what I'm saying is something is better than nothing.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But none are from the same city (except Cadet or B/C corps.) I hope that Revolution can get the members they want. They were one of the best D III corps out there this year.

I here what you're saying but I thought Cadets and Crossmen were from the same town. How 'bout Vanguard and Vanguard Cadets? Blue Devils and Blue Devils B? There's room for people at all ability levels. I think there's enough talent to go around. Hopefully they'll realize there's a lot for both of them to gain if they work together.

This is the biggest news since the Dodgers moved from Brooklyn to L.A. That leaves only two DI corps in the Northeast - BAC and Hoppy's. A region that was once a junior corps powerhouse has now become a backwater of DCI :(

While BAC's operations and offices are still in Boston, and the spring training is in the Northeast, the corps is as much so (if not more) from Florida than Boston. That leaves the one remaining Northeast corps.

Atleast they won't be continuing the tradition of DCI corps folding. Maybe this was one last ditch effort to keep this organization alive. Would you prefer that the Crossmen fold as an entity and have a new corps with a new name in SA buy X-men's assets? In essence, that's what's happening here but hopefully atleast there's a chance that some of the tradition/lineage can survive the move. I guess what I'm saying is something is better than nothing.

As one who was briefly involved with the poor & proud Crossmen, I would favor a name change. But that choice should reside solely with Harold & Charlotte Robinson.

I have mixed feelings about all this....before I decided to post I wanted to read all of the previous pages.....most people are excited & positive...some are how I would expect them to be (hugely critical & jaded)....well, as an alumni of the best corps Crossmen EVER put on the field, I will always follow them;even if they choose to start up camp in Egypt....I love the kids...many of those same kids cheered me on as I marched up the hill with Bridgemen at East this past August....problems Crossmen had were never with the kids....TALENT WAS & IS THERE....Good luck Bones....see ya in Texas...now let's see if we could just get T.O. outta The Lone Star State.......p.s. Please continue the tradition of playing "Russian".... b**bs

Members didn't keep Crossmen out of finals, and members will not get them in finals.

If this whole thing revitalizes the Crossmen(and I sincerely hope it does), I doubt the change in scenery will be much of a factor. Management and staff issues are at the root of the Crossmen's struggles and finding the right people for those positions will be what turns it around.

As for the impact on the other groups in Texas, I think Revolution will initially lose some people, but if they stay focused on what they can control(giving their members a quality, positive experience), there's no reason they can't be succesful.

alumni will be more pleased by the fact that the corps will do much better in San Antonio. Keeping them where they were was like wattering an already dead flower.

~>conner

As an alum of the Crossmen and former staffer, I can tell you that many alumni, and current marching members, are very upset. The Crossmen, in good years and bad, have always been an Eastern Drum Corps. I was in the corps when we first made finals, and we were very proud that a group of average kids from Pennsylvania and the tri-state area(and, yes, some from other places...whom we welcomed) were able to bust their tail in a bad parking lot and become a solid DCI finalist. The Bones, like all major div. I corps, do have kids from many places, but have maintained their roots, and to this day had a large contingent of members from Pa. and within a 6 hour drive. Now, the kid from Pa. who wants to march division I, and/or is pretty good but maybe not good enough (or the desire) to be a Cadet, and can only afford to drive (with friends) and not fly to rehearse...well, his marching days are over...although some might hop in a car and take a long drive to Bluecoats. There were 3 kids in the corps this summer, guard members, from Texas. Not one musician. Yes, the Crossmen had a rough couple of years (but were still respectable). A young membership, and changing staff/administration made things a bit difficult. I understand YEA needing to let go of the corps over time and the reasons........but I fear that what happened to Sky Ryders when they moved to DeSoto could repeat here. The Crossmen went through some very rough times, but always survived, and would have survived in the East. I am not so sure they will now.

Yes, Texas has some great musicians. They march with Phantom, Blue Devils, Santa Clara and others. They are not going to flock to the 15th place Crossmen. The new director comes from a great HS program. But BOA is not DCI, and talented 15-17 year olds are not going to hang competitively with corps with 20 year old music majors. Nothing can change that. We have alumni who had kids in the corps the past few summers...average kids with average folks with average jobs....flying to San Antonio to be in the corps is not an option; they gave their hearts to the corps and marched with the same pride as if they were 6th place.....their marching days as a Crossmen are now abruptly over, by force, and with no ability to have any input prior to the decision (nor did the alumni). From what I had heard, the Crossmen did have a respectable number of kids who wished to return to the corps before this happened; now, very few, if any, will. I just pray that if/when the Texas thing doesn't work, that somehow the corps will come "back home".

GB

I

I wonder though if a name change would be in order... Crossmen seems like such a Euopean/East coast name and doesn't really fit IMHO into the Southwest/Wild Frontier/Lone Star area...

but that's just me.

As a current member, I feel it's a little bitter sweet. See for me going to camps from new mexico last year was a little costly. With this move if i decide to march again will cut down on costs greatly. However, I feel that the corps abandoned the vets ... Makes me feel like they didn't think we were good enough and wanted to start out completely fresh. so... i still don't know what to think

Edited by NMSUtrmptman07