San Antonio Crossmen

Gross mismanagement of the crossmen.

YEA was fully capable of achieving the top levels of success for one of its corp – so they have the ability, just not the desire or wherewithal to dedicate their efforts on the crossmen. Maybe they just could not handle managing 2 corps properly, seems to be the case

Did not notice the cadets lacking funds as the crossmen had the pink tables pulled from them

Maybe I should review a copy of YEA budgets; you got a link to their year end reports and finical statements?

Here’s one, seeing that YEA has been proven incapable of managing the crossmen, why should the cadets get a free pass…I don’t get how they can keep them so separate…if crossmen are in such bad shape, than why are cadets so healthy?

And maybe I was wrong about not supporting crossmen, maybe I should throw all my support behind them and send them a fat check, their success would show how inept their past management really was…but this is so much for them to overcome, they have been put in a huge whole

here's a serious question about management.....i had heard recently PA gave YEA a nice grant......now that the Crossmen are out of PA, how will this grant be affected?

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, the question then becomes, where were the parents offering to run / pay for the corps in Pittsburg, Harrisburg, Dover, Wilmington, Baltimore and Richmond?

This seems like a clear choice of there being a Crossmen active *somewhere* or none at all.

Mike

VA had a group

VA had a group

I ask again. Can you know it was a better choice?

Because the Cadets draw in almost twice as many donations as the Crossmen do? Because the Cadets sold more souveniers than the Crossmen do? In other words, because in the mechanisms of touring, YEA was spending as much on the Crossmen as on the Cadets, but they weren't drawing in as much revenue?

Hop has been pretty upfront about it in his blog for years now - the Cadets pretty much break even; the Crossmen were doing about 200k less than that.

Mike

a toip corps will sell more souvies...no surprise there. and the donations were hurt when they moved to YEA.

Just some info that you guys might find useful...

1. Do a youtube search for "Reagan Band"... They're pretty smokin'... (my fav is beyond perimeters... lol)

2. This is the Reagan Band's website... http://www.sareaganband.com/band/

3. Here's a virtual tour of their school... http://www.neisd.net/camp/campipix/007/reaganvideo.htm GREAT facility...

4. This is their football stadium... http://www.neisd.net/camp/campipix/blossom...adium_lores.htm

Just a start... :-)

yay. a boa show. and here i hoped to see something that led me to believe drum corps was going to san anotnio

I should have said a Division I corp! Maybe they will go to the Cadets????!!!! LOL & LMAO. I am sure that most of the local kids were intending to return to the Crossmen and now That will probably NOT be happening for some of them, due to the fact that the Crossmen will be based in San Antonio. :( <**> IMHO, I would not want to march in a Senior corp if I were 15 - 22 years old. You only get to be in DCI until 21 or 22, Why waste those years in a Senior Corp??? You only live once, so go for a DCI Corp when you are young and save the DCA corps for the later years in your life, if you must.

DCA is younger and younger every year.

Tell me Mr. Texas representative, how many corps formed and folded in Texas since 1972 ??

~G~

I dont know exact years, but still whats your point?

Inactive Junior corps from Pa

84th Bucktail Regiment, Emporium

507 Hornets, Norwood

Ambassadors, Susquehanna County

Archer-Epler Musketeer Cadets, Upper Darby

Archer-Epler Musketeers, Upper Darby

Barracudas, Schuylkill Haven

Belvederes, Schuylkill Haven

Black Diamond Regiment, Schuylkill Haven

Blue Sabres, Sharpsville

Bracken Cavaliers, Bristol

Brookhaven Crusaders, Brookhaven

Bucks County Cavaliers, Bucks County

Bux Mont Raiders, Souderton

Cambria Cadets, Cambria

Derry Patriots, Derry

Earls, Bucks County

Enforcers, Pittsburgh

Erie Mavericks, Erie

General Butler Vagabonds, Lyndora/Butler

Golden Eagles, Philadelphia

Golden Lancers, Greensburg/Pittsburgh

Highlanders, Hazelton

Howard W. McCall Bluebirds from Philadelphia, PA

Illusion, Sharon Hill

Images, Philadelphia

Iron Cross, Delaware County

Keystone Regiment, Newtown Square

KNights of Lorrain from Temple, Philadelphia

Lake Erie Regiment, Erie

Lehigh Valley Knights, Allentown

McKeesport Drum and Bugle Corps, McKeesport

Nittany Post, State College

Norristown Invaders, Norristown

Osmond Post Cadets, Philadelphia

PAL Windjammers, Philadelphia

Penn Treaty Cadets, Philadelphia

Pennsylvanians , Levittown

Philadelphia Police Cadets (PAL), Philadelphia

Pioneer Scouts, Lebanon

Pittsburgh Rockets Jr., Pittsburgh

Quasar, Penn Hills

Regency One, Allentown

Ridley Park Rangers, Ridley Park

Rising Park, Philadelphia

Royal Crusader Cadets, Finleyville

Royal Crusaders, Finleyville

Sahler Sedan Cadets, Coatesville

Sharpsburg Cadets, Sharpsburg

Silver Sabres, Beaver Falls

Southern Illusion, Philadelphia

Sundownders, Warren

Thunderherd, Pittsburgh

Tri-Community Cadets, Newtown Square

Twin City Imperials, Oil City

United Boys & Girls Brigade, Wilkinsburg

Vagabond Cadets, Lyndora/Butler

Vasela Musketeers, Philadelphia

Westshoremen Cadets, Harrisburg

Westshoremen, Harrisburg

West Reading Police Cadets, West Reading

White Roses, York

Yearsley Blackhawks, Philadelphia

Zion Baptist, Philadelphia

Texas

Legend of Texas from Lubbock, TX

Lone Star from Commerce, TX

Night Hawks from Houston, TX

Sky Ryders from Desoto, TX; Hutchinson, KS

Trinity from Seguin, TX

When the Crossmen were formed in the fall of 74 it was because of a will to survive and to have a great corps from the Philly area. We came from several corps in the area that had been fierce competitors. We put our differences aside and united for a cause. I remember a bus ride to "Boonton Nationals" late in the 74 season when some of the Hornets came on our buses and we plotted our future, dreaming of being DCI finalist. Because of some administrators and in-spite of others the Crossmen were formed and we realized our dream in 1977. Since then the corps has been through a roller coaster of a ride - probably wilder than any other drum corps. The road was never easy. And now the flag will fly in San Antonio. Will it be the same - absolutely not, will it be worse or better - who knows. Will it be Philly - no way. I doubt they will cut rehearsal short if the Birds make the superbowl. But will it be the Bones - that is the question for everyone and the measure of true success for many of us. I truly hope that the leadership of the Crossmen, not just YEA are involved in the transition. From this alumni's perspective, Scott and Rick (Alum Pres) should have received the first call from Mr. Chambers - asking for guidance and to learn the tradition he inherits. If not, then his words of carrying on the legacy are just words. The Crossmen are not a brand - they are a family, a tradition, a legacy of unity.

Doug Stemet

75-77 Sop

78, 81-83 Staff

:worthy::worthy:

Aaron...you've not necessarily done anything wrong but, anytime someone voices the opinion that they're upset about the move or that they have concerns for the future of the corps, you counter with a flippant "get over it" remark then rejoice because the Crossmen are now in your backyard. What you must realize is that not everyone is thrilled with this news and that some, in fact, are quite saddened. Your enthusiasm and positive attitude are wonderful, but show some respect for the feelings of those who are suffering a loss.

w/Stp:

I too find the constant "get over it" "be positive" posts to be insensitive. The majority of Xmen faithful have to feel sad about this move. No matter how excited those in Texas may be, or how indifferent those in the Midwest might be, the fact remains that there are now only 2 Division I DCI drum corps in the NE, once a home to several drum corps. That is SAD!

I keep wondering:

If Texas is such a hot bed for drum corps, why isn't there a track record of a succesful DivI corps?

Does a successful marching band program really insure a successful drum corps? Other than YEA, I know of no current shared management affiliations between a high school band and any top 12 corps, is there one? Am I expected to believe that these Texas parents and volunteers have been willing to donate their time and money all along, but haven't been smart enough to figure out how to start a drum corps? I have seen in other threads that some top national high school band programs actually do not allow bandies to march in drum corps. Aren't most of the members of top 12 DCI corps high school grads?

Wouldn't long time Xmen volunteers, supporters and alumns rather donate money to keep the corps in their "home region" instead of supporting sending kids to Texas? Will they now spend their time and their support dollars on a different corps that is closer to home?

I live less than 1 hour from Allentown, and have two daughters, aged 10 and 12. They both had aspirations to march in Crossmen as soon as they could audition. They have joined their school bands, one a drummer and one a trumpet, simply as the first step in becoming a member of a drum corps. Even at their young ages, they know the difference between the two! I am annoyed that the YEA organization keeps taking drum corps more toward the band activity. All in the name of music education I suppose, but seemingly at the expense of the things that have made drum corps different from marching band. I just am not ready to embrace the marching band activity under the pretense that drum corps has to, or it will perish.

I appreciate the never say die attitude of some of the MM who have posted here, and sincerely hope that you can realize your dreams of marching. I also hope that the traditions that the Crossmen established will be revered by their new staff, and even revitalized, but I have my reservations.

Change is inevitable, and it is best embraced with optimism. But yesterdays announcement marks the end of a drum corps tradition as we have known it, and that is a sad day, regardless of what the future brings.

:(