San Antonio Crossmen

IMHO, I would not want to march in a Senior corp if I were 15 - 22 years old. You only get to be in DCI until 21 or 22, Why waste those years in a Senior Corp??? You only live once, so go for a DCI Corp when you are young and save the DCA corps for the later years in your life, if you must.

If you're lucky you can go to an All Age corps after you hit 22. I marched a Senior corps from age 16 to 22 as it was from my home town. When I graduated college I had to drop out due to something new called a J.O.B. :P Seriously our corps was about 50% minors and not one ever said they were "wasting their time" by doing the Senior scene. Actually a lot of them had part time jobs because their family needed the money. During my time the corps built itself up from sucko to 6th place at DCA and I wouldn't change a thing.

As long as you said IMHO, no problem.... B)

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed out of respect for Crossmen alumni, members, and voluteers...

Edited by SCVsopAaron

Southwind broke from the Madison organization.

Magic, Crown and Boston were all involved with YEA! at one time, too.

While it will seem weird to me to have Crossmen in Texas, if it leads to independence from YEA! and a stable, successful drum corps, I say good luck.

Garry

Out of curiosity... Why is it that the members of the corps, supposedly in total turmoil, are the MOST POSITIVE ONES in this thread???

...aside from me... lol... GO BONES!!!

There are many members from last year that are just still in shock and are devastated. They are wondering how they can make a return to their corp that is now 2000 miles away. Yes there are some that are excited of this new change, but many more still in SHOCK and really sad!!!

If kids truly want to march Crossmen, they can and will find a way. If not the Crossmen, Cadets or Bluecoats. Where there is a will, there is a way. If the Blue Devils moved to another state, they would still be BD. Same goes for Cavies, Phantom, or any corps. A corps identity is so much more than the city they currently call home. It's about traditions, and to a lesser degree, but important in its own right, the look and feel of the corps. The attitude of the members and staff, their work ethic, solid design and instruction, great management and tour team in place, a solid foundation when it comes to the history of the corps, maintaining that sense of "style" that makes the corps unique, but never , never sacrificing substance. San Antonio, Barstow, Toronto, wherever...they are STILL the Crossmen. If you want to march Crossmen in '07 or beyond, you can and you will.

As an alum of the Crossmen and former staffer, I can tell you that many alumni, and current marching members, are very upset. The Crossmen, in good years and bad, have always been an Eastern Drum Corps. I was in the corps when we first made finals, and we were very proud that a group of average kids from Pennsylvania and the tri-state area(and, yes, some from other places...whom we welcomed) were able to bust their tail in a bad parking lot and become a solid DCI finalist. The Bones, like all major div. I corps, do have kids from many places, but have maintained their roots, and to this day had a large contingent of members from Pa. and within a 6 hour drive. Now, the kid from Pa. who wants to march division I, and/or is pretty good but maybe not good enough (or the desire) to be a Cadet, and can only afford to drive (with friends) and not fly to rehearse...well, his marching days are over...although some might hop in a car and take a long drive to Bluecoats. There were 3 kids in the corps this summer, guard members, from Texas. Not one musician. Yes, the Crossmen had a rough couple of years (but were still respectable). A young membership, and changing staff/administration made things a bit difficult. I understand YEA needing to let go of the corps over time and the reasons........but I fear that what happened to Sky Ryders when they moved to DeSoto could repeat here. The Crossmen went through some very rough times, but always survived, and would have survived in the East. I am not so sure they will now.

Yes, Texas has some great musicians. They march with Phantom, Blue Devils, Santa Clara and others. They are not going to flock to the 15th place Crossmen. The new director comes from a great HS program. But BOA is not DCI, and talented 15-17 year olds are not going to hang competitively with corps with 20 year old music majors. Nothing can change that. We have alumni who had kids in the corps the past few summers...average kids with average folks with average jobs....flying to San Antonio to be in the corps is not an option; they gave their hearts to the corps and marched with the same pride as if they were 6th place.....their marching days as a Crossmen are now abruptly over, by force, and with no ability to have any input prior to the decision (nor did the alumni). From what I had heard, the Crossmen did have a respectable number of kids who wished to return to the corps before this happened; now, very few, if any, will. I just pray that if/when the Texas thing doesn't work, that somehow the corps will come "back home".

GB

I

ugh. at least we still HAVE the Crossmen... BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!! YAY BONES!!!! wow people. some of us just REFUSE to be positive...

I don't think anyone is hating on the fact that X-Men are still around. However, past history has shown that it's difficult for a Division I corps to flourish in the state. I think the phrase that best suits the situation is "guarded optimism". :)

Right now, a great many things are still up in the air. Show concepts, staff, logsitics of touring and housing...all of which will be taken care of in due time, I'm sure, but no upheaval of this magnitude is ever completely problem-free....so folks on both sides of the equation (marchers/staff and supporters/fans) are just trying to sort it all out.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

I'm not sure if people understand that a move to San Antonio (or someone where else) was imperative to the very existence of the Crossmen organization.

San Antonio or no Crossmen, which would you rather have?

Count your blessings.

I am not sure this is a true statement?????!!!! If this is true, there should have been more options for the Crossmen to have stayed on the East Coast at least.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

Has nothing to do with "the state." Has everything to do with Mangement/Logistics/Tour Team. Got good people from the very top on down? Got a great design and teaching staff, and talented kids willing to work hard? I'd say that's a formula for success. The people they have in charge should be great for the corps in regards to management, finances, touring, etc. The Crossmen are the Crossmen. If the area they came from is the ONLY thing that made them the Crossmen, well then that is just sad. If taking away a city or State strips the corps' identity, well then there is bigger problems. If the alumni comes out stronger than ever in their support of their corps, and YEA makes sure that tradition is paramount during this transition (without hindering innovation, of course), then the X-men will be just fine. Show some love!

I don't think anyone is hating on the fact that X-Men are still around. However, past history has shown that it's difficult for a Division I corps to flourish in the state. I think the phrase that best suits the situation is "guarded optimism". :)

Right now, a great many things are still up in the air. Show concepts, staff, logsitics of touring and housing...all of which will be taken care of in due time, I'm sure, but no upheaval of this magnitude is ever completely problem-free....so folks on both sides of the equation (marchers/staff and supporters/fans) are just trying to sort it all out.