Do Cavies Ever Do Arc Reshapes?

I've been wondering for some time if the Cavies ever do arc reshapes. (In case you're wondering what I mean, an arc reshape is generally when you're in an arc and you take a curved path from point A to point B. )

As far as I can tell they don't. If they do, how do they manage to do it using the "dot" system? I would think it would be very hard to do it this way as one of the important parts of a reshape is guiding off those around you.

edit...thanks mike ha ha...b parenthesis is the sunglasses emoticon

Edited by Medeabrass

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering for some time if the Cavies ever do arc reshapes. (In case you're wondering what I mean, an arc reshape is generally when you're in an arc and you take a curved path from point A to point B).

Point smiley face?

Edited by Michael Boo

I've been wondering for some time if the Cavies ever do arc reshapes. (In case you're wondering what I mean, an arc reshape is generally when you're in an arc and you take a curved path from point A to point B. )

As far as I can tell they don't. If they do, how do they manage to do it using the "dot" system? I would think it would be very hard to do it this way as one of the important parts of a reshape is guiding off those around you.

edit...thanks mike ha ha...b parenthesis is the sunglasses emoticon

Well, if I'm understanding you correctly, there is a great example of an "arc re-shape" in Frameworks right before the company front in the opener. The last 4 or 5 charts all involve morphing arcs that eventually develop into the company front. However, all of these were accomplished with dots and straight line paths. Other examples might include the music box in II. Harmony and everything leading into fight club. Again, all accomplished with dots and straight line paths. In general, these are accomplished with lots of 4 count (sometimes 2 count [2005]) drill phrases. This process is also convenient when developing extremely long drill effects (ie. the "deli slicer" toward the end of the opener in 2003) where guiding is virtually impossible due to the large and constantly changing intervals coupled with a high frequency of direction changes. Instead, the sequence can be broken down into many 4 count phrases such that the end result is a seemless progression of straight line paths from dot to dot.

I don't mind one way or another. Whatever they have been doing for the past 6+ years, it's better drill than anything any other corps has managed to put out.

If there's one thing I've learned from former Cavaliers like Mitch Rogers and Mike Tarr, it's that if you take a straight path with a consistent step-size, drill works. Curved paths, are for the most part, archaic now. Visual practices have developed their own set of theory, much like music.

If you want an example of a curved path reshape failing miserably, watch the giant C reshape in the 01 Bluecoats closer before the big tango reprise. Wonder why that drill writer wasn't asked back next season? lol

If there's one thing I've learned from former Cavaliers like Mitch Rogers and Mike Tarr, it's that if you take a straight path with a consistent step-size, drill works.

This true with one exception: block rotations that retain their size. To rotate a block, members need to take a circular path that is an arc of the circle with radius equal to the distance from that person to the center of the block. Block rotations done with straight paths will compress the block from the beginning to the middle of the rotation, then expand it to its original size from the middle to the end of the rotation.

Edited by Hrothgar15

This true with one exception: block rotations that retain their size. To rotate a block, members need to take a circular path that is an arc of the circle with radius equal to the distance from that person to the center of the block. Block rotations done with straight paths will compress the block from the beginning to the middle of the rotation, than expand it to its original size from the middle to the end of the rotation.

Bam!

+1 for curves!