Bold predictions for the next 10 years

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Pits and Percussion lines are going to get smaller. Instead of having

10 snares- there will be one...amped and turned up loud enough to sound like 10.

After all, the goal is for 10 to sound like one, so why not just have one. Same with

multi tenors, but not bass drums- unless replaced by a drum machine or something.

Same thing with pit percussion instruments, where applicable. Mallets, cymbals etc.

Guards may get bigger with all the extra people (unless the max membership

gets reduced because of a huge decline in membership).

Hornlines? Well, why not mic 'em and shrink 'em. Heck before we know it- we'll

have ....well....summerguard. Because the guard will be the only thing unaffected

by the electronics age.

Maybe we'll see tiny cameras make their way into corps, so when some person has the "lead"

line during the "play" we'll be able to see their facial expressions on the jumbotron better.

God, I hope this stuff never comes true.

I dunno about the shako thing. Something about seeing performs with them makes me think they're just BAMFs ready to go after it.

I wonder if the kind of programming the Cavaliers have been doing will catch on with everyone else: really accentuating and designing around the visual program while the music program complements the visual more than vice versa. I mean, 5 championships in 7 years...

* The Championships will be held permanently at Indianapolis. Regional shows will be held in Orlando, Madison, Denver, San Antonio, and Allentown.

* More international corps will follow the example of Yamato.

* Division I will include the present 24, plus, Kiwanis Kavaliers, VK, Bridgemen, Kilties, Revolution, East Coast Jazz, Arizona Academy, Sky Ryders, Oregon Crusaders, Jersey Surf, and Impulse.

* The age limit will be raised to 25.

* Corps that I think will win a championship in the next decade, besides the usual gang? Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats.

* Corps numbers will increase to 150.

* Star will not be returning. In fact, Bill Cook will show up to every DCI championship and announce "NO, STAR IS NOT COMING BACK NEXT YEAR."

* Mini corps will become the rage and will be a part of WGI. Surprisingly, Regiment will win ever.

My question isn't whether you would mind this or even hate it, but do you think we might see either electric basses in the pit or synthesizers?

By this, do you mean more emotey guards, or are you talking about people like the schoolgirl in the audience kinda thing....or something else altogether?

I think of Blast mostly... the way that the musicians pulled you in through emotive eye contact... agreed that shakos can have a BAMF effect, but every time I've seen any solo or performance with no headware, it's always been interestingly more compelling to me.