Posting Photos - a discussion thread

The fundamental mission and intent of Drum Corps International is to protect the interests of its member corps. It is important that fans wishing to post images take the time to make themselves aware of the specific polices of the individual corps depicted in their photographs. While members of the Drum Corps Planet are certainly free to share their personal photos on the DCP site, under no circumstances can the photographs or images of current or past DCI corps, or those photos taken at any DCI-sanctioned event, be sold or used for any commercial purpose without the permission of the individual corps and/or Drum Corps International.

Further, nothing in this note shall be interpreted to grant any permission for the distribution or reproduction of any materials copyrighted by DCI or its member corps. Drum Corps International does not presume to have rights to images beyond our scope -- meaning those images depicting corps prior to the formation of DCI as well as those of organizations which are inactive -- and therefore has no position on images which may be posted as they pertain to these organizations.

Finally, it is our hope that good taste and human dignity will always be kept in mind when posting images of any drum corps. Each of the corps work hard to create a positive reputation and professional image, and we all work very hard to ensure that the corps and their members are presented in a favorable light.

Our job now is to act responsibly and adhere to the guidelines set forth. We will strictly enforce the restriction on posting copyrighted materials and the 800x600 size limitation. Doing so will ensure that we, and future members and visitors, can enjoy the photos that you're contributing for a long time to come.

OK...so... MEAT & POTATOE's ....... details specifically stated ...... "official stand" ...... the bottom line ...... here it is in writing ..... "The Rules" ....

If this was that commercial for the beer... we would be saying: "Man law, agreed?" :P

Thank you John an Ed...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was that commercial for the beer... we would be saying: "Man law, agreed?" :P

Thank you John an Ed...

I love that commercial. b**bs ."Man law" indeed...:)

Thank you Mr. Dempsey.....

So where's the guy that started all of the mess now, Old Ohio? There were some pretty nasty things said on this forum about DCI regarding pictures. Is anyone going to step up now and admit that DCI isn't the monster they were portrayed as? There were some that apologized for jumping the gun with their comments, but there still seemed to be a feeling that it was only a matter of time before DCI clamped down on people. Sure doesn't sound like that's the case.

So where's the guy that started all of the mess now, Old Ohio? There were some pretty nasty things said on this forum about DCI regarding pictures. Is anyone going to step up now and admit that DCI isn't the monster they were portrayed as? There were some that apologized for jumping the gun with their comments, but there still seemed to be a feeling that it was only a matter of time before DCI clamped down on people. Sure doesn't sound like that's the case.

We are not even sure on why Charles had to take his pictures off the thread... he just stated that he had to and then ...poof... they were gone. I will say it again, I wish Charles would come back and elaborate on why he had to do what he did. Come back Old Ohio... we still love ya!!

Thank you to Ed, Dan Acheson and the DCI staff for working thru this issue ... and providing DCP and its members with 'official permission' to continue the important work of preserving and sharing the history of this great activity.

Our job now is to act responsibly and adhere to the guidelines set forth. We will strictly enforce the restriction on posting copyrighted materials and the 800x600 size limitation. Doing so will ensure that we, and future members and visitors, can enjoy the photos that you're contributing for a long time to come.

Thank you to our members for their patience while we finalized this agreement.

-john

Amen! The policy is also quite clear on the selling of photos, which I believe is what set off the most recent debate. So I hope that those involved will take note of this and then act accordingly. Ignorance of the policy is no longer an option.

We are not even sure on why Charles had to take his pictures off the thread... he just stated that he had to and then ...poof... they were gone. I will say it again, I wish Charles would come back and elaborate on why he had to do what he did. Come back Old Ohio... we still love ya!!

I'm going to guess . . . and I hope Charles will return and clarify/correct this if need be. But I wonder if DCI asked Charles to remove those photos which are copyrighted by DCI because they appeared in DCI publications. We then misinterpreted his comments to mean that DCI was forbidding the posting of personal photos of all DCI corps. At least, that was my take on what he wrote.

Hope I'm not mangling the details too much or overstepping my interpretation what happened. I'm only guessing, and I could be guessing wrong! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I would like someone to know I am being harassed in Ebay messages (which I have not listed anything for a few months now) by joebearcat8383 If you know who he is I would like it to decease...I reported him to Ebay for Harassment,...

Hello,

This is Marlene and I would like to answer your questions as to why...I am 71, retired and living on just SS and I wanted a digital camera and I thought the best way was to earn some monies by selling some pics on Ebay as i saw another gentlemen doing it..I only attend Reilly, Archies , Rebels shows and maybe DCA in Rochester...and I wanted a camera to take pics there....I wrote to him and he said he had no problem...go ahead and do it... I won't mention names as we all probably know him. A lot of photos are just old photos (No photographer) was the plan...I don't remember ever taking pictures from this site but I may have although I was only on it one or two times...A photographer from the Mid-West sent me pics and said use them as I would like...even on cd disks...I was selling a few at 4 3 x 5 for $4.00

I made a total of $25. which I bought donated to the Vagabonds to help with their insurance...I still don't understand the problem with the Sony Album...Your photobucket is the exact same thing...You can order pics, mugs, t-shirts, hats etc from both...so what is your problem with that??? I deleted over 1000 pictures on the sites so they are gone and lost forever...I had a total of almost 4000 pics. I can understand not selling a photographers pics but I will still stand when I believe "SELL MORE TO GET KNOWN MORE" "I WOULD BE PROUD IF YOU SOLD THE BON-BON'S PIC AND SOMEONE WANTED IT BAD ENOUGHT TO PAY FOR IT" I WILL SAY excluding photographers pics... but then how do I decipher photographers pics from 4000 pics that different people sent in??? I wanted to give you something to think about...I have a fav pic of Scout House and I will put it on and you will like it...anybody want to donate for a digital camera...

Sincerely, Marlene

PS Any problem if I sell my own pictures on there??? I have a few hundred from the alumni shows...that I took!!!

What I've done when I post photos at that "other thread" is use photobucket first and copy and paste from there.

Many of my pics posted were from the Racine Kilties back in "my day" thanks to a great Kilties Alumni website, and I HAD gotten permission from the webmaster at the Kiltie alum website, George Fennell, to post them here - ALL for the sake of having a wonderful thread of old school drum corps along with the newer school pics, saved for posterity!

I think peoples' intentions at DCP are right on the mark, and likely post their pics for the same reasons - too bad that the "lawyers" somehow got involved.....

I've never "met" Marlene in person, but we've corresponded several times and she strikes me as a lady who also had her heart in the right place with her own website and her intentions, but somehow and somewhere along the line something's gone terribly wrong.

I still don't quite understand it all!

I would like to know how you add a picture on here... I want to add one...Mar