So....

NanciD

I went shopping with Mom the other day(here in Florida) and coming out of Bed

Bath & Beyond.... a big thunderstorm was hitting... So... we decided to stay

under cover til it passed. The clouds were moving quickly. We figured about 10

mins. So... I lit up a cig... and waited...

When this woman that was also on her cig. break.... says, *Skyliners, huh?*

(I was wearing my Timmy Boardman special - Sky Alumni Tank)

So, I look at her and say, yeah, you know about Drum Corps?

She says yeah, I'm originally from NY. I marched in Hawthorne.

Wow! Small world, huh? (we had a chuckle)

So... I tell her that I just got back from DCA weekend up in Rochester... she

then tells me that she had wanted to go... but, couldn't get enough time off to

make it. I say, *at the rate of growth.... DCA weekend is gonna have to add

another day.* We both happily chuckled again.

Then she tells me that she is helping (long distance) a corps... but, she

assumes that I probably am unfamiliar with them....

(Heh... she has no idea that she is talking to a Corps historian of sorts) So,

she mentions the name Emerald Grens..... to which I say, *Yeah, the All Girl

Corps!* She was a bit shocked....

We had a good lil chat and the storm passed quickly....

Too bad... I never did get her name....

It always amazes me how often I get approached when wearing a Drum Corps shirt or jacket.

So..... the moral of the story is....

Always wear a Drum Corps shirt.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Times I've been stopped and asked while wearing a corps jacket "Who do you know in the Caballeros", or "Does your husband or boyfriend march there" when I'd say No I marched they would always say "When did they let women in? :music:

When they get passed their shock (of well over 20 years of being out of the loop), they would say "Are they still really good", I'd smile :blink: say "In my heart they always are".

Edited by irishcab95

LOL Tom and I decided to drive to Miami for the weekend to see the Dolphins (his team) and the Falcons (My Team) play. Yeah kind of crazy since we live all the way up here in good old Erie, PA.

Anyway....... While in Miami I had to stop at a K-Mart to make sure I had enough film to get photos of my Falcons kicking some Fish butt (and they did) when this guy saw my Thunderbirds mini corps shirt and stopped me. He was on vacation with his wife but they were from Meadville>>>Where the Thunderbirds began. It really IS a SMALL WORLD.

SIDE NOTE>> Guess this goes to show everyone that if you are wearing anything that associates you to ANY group....People may see you as a representation of the WHOLE group >>So ALWAY be on your best behavior.

That's what corps jackets are for :)

NanciD- Funny thing about Skyliner apparel....it IS cause to strike up interesting conversations! Mid-'70s, Hawaii. I'm wearing a Sky t-shirt and two lovely ladies ask me if the Skyliners are in town. I replied,"No, I'm just a drum corps nut!" So they asked me what I was doing in Hawaii? In an attempt to impress these ladies, I blurted out, "Oh, I'm starting a jr. corps over here!" Well, then I had to make good on my statement. Turns out that Vicki and Mary Lynn were members of the Seattle Imperials guard, and they, along with former members of the Guardsmen, Kilties, Blue Rock, and Cavaliers...helped me to recruit and teach "Na Koa Alii" (the King's Guard). They competed against the area H.S. Bands, remained undefeated, and eventually folded due to our inability to compete on the mainland. Unfortunate. It was a fun corps though, and played a major role in getting the bands interested in "corps-style." B)

I wear my WS shirt more than anything else in my dresser. :) B) Yeah thats right.... Im a drum corps nut..... MUST... DRUM...AGHHHHHH!!!!! b**bs

I wore a Mandarins shirt to teh fabric store on Sunday and the clerk asked it it was related to teh drum and bugle corps, since the shirt said mandarains school of music or something like that. I told her it was indeed and sh mentioned growing up in santa Clara and and going to watch vanguard all the time.

Two years ago the high school band I worked with traveled to New York City for the Greek Festival parade. We were waiting in line on a side street for our spot to open up. It was a cool day in May and I was wearing my Steel City jacket. As we stood there waiting, the New York City Police Department Marching Band was coming down the street. As it was about to pass by, the drum major glanced over and gave me a funny look. Next thing I know is the parade is stopped and the drum major walks up to me and says, "Steel City, huh, I competed against you guys in the 80's!!!" What a suprise, she was a former member of the Sunrisers. We shared for a moment, then she resumed marching the band through the parade. My band kids were excited to see her stop and talk to me. I told them that drum corps is a great fraternity and a wonderful activity. You just never know who you will run into when wearing your colors!

Two years ago the high school band I worked with traveled to New York City for the Greek Festival parade. We were waiting in line on a side street for our spot to open up. It was a cool day in May and I was wearing my Steel City jacket. As we stood there waiting, the New York City Police Department Marching Band was coming down the street. As it was about to pass by, the drum major glanced over and gave me a funny look. Next thing I know is the parade is stopped and the drum major walks up to me and says, "Steel City, huh, I competed against you guys in the 80's!!!" What a suprise, she was a former member of the Sunrisers. We shared for a moment, then she resumed marching the band through the parade. My band kids were excited to see her stop and talk to me. I told them that drum corps is a great fraternity and a wonderful activity. You just never know who you will run into when wearing your colors!

Greg,

"Kathleen Thompson" played triple toms (even a North set for a few years!) and was also one of the Sunrisers DM's....(very cool lady from Bayridge, Bklyn)

Tony B)