The most underrated section of a drum corps

sday88

The American Flag section. Some senior corps still have them, I hope.

Also, the people nowadays that do nothing but carry props around (I'm talking about marching members on the field who hide behind scenery waiting for the next scene change).

I've done that in community theater, and it's thankless and boring.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......Within the drumline and the guard, there are subsections that get the majority of the attention (ie, snares and weapons). I spent the majority of my years marching on the flag line.

The rifles and sabres ALWAYS got the most focus, not saying that we didnt get our corrections as well. Once I was on the rifle line, I realized how much the staff focuses on the weapons and sometimes forgets about the flags. With the drumline, the basses are undoubtedly overlooked. I always heard comments from the box to snares and tenors, but rarely the basses. The bassdrummers carry those drums on their shoulders, I give them much props.

I guess neither section is as easy as it appears.

I can confirm that through my own experience. I once did 2 years on perc (all male) for a WG (all female). We perc guys were pretty much left to our own devices and had a good opportunity to observe. The instuctors treated the weapons gals like "divas" and "glamour girls", while the flag chicks just got yelled at most of the time. Unfortunately (for the instructors) a couple guys in the perc section were going out with a couple girls in the flag line....see where this is going? The instructors were told (by us) in no uncertain terms that if they didn't start treating the flag line with the respect that they deserved we were going to walk. After that there was no problem.

i also would like to add that when i say 4th bass is overlooked, i don't mean to say that we have the least amount of parts or anything...i know i had lots of notes this summer, but that was because i'm a 4 year vet....anyways

what i was trying to say is that when you watch a bassline, you almost never notice their 4th bass. EVERYONE notices the 5th and 2nd/1st right away. 3rd is close behind. but you almost never notice the 4th bass.

Edited by triplefunk

As for the lower lead euphs - it depends on where you are. At some corps your actually the center of attention (but the girls still go for the d-line and trumpets first, what can you do).

I played 3rd baritone, and we were a very proud and talented section. I can't say that I ever felt like we were overlooked.

Anything that is not first or second parts.

THE most overlooked person in any drum corps is whoever is playing 4th bass.

honestly.

i mean think about it...when you watch a bassline, how often do you pay attention to 4th bass?? i know the only reason i do is cuz i've marched it a few times...

4th bass is the forgetten member of the forgotten section

4th bass is the glue man. I feel you on that!! Who else are you gonna get to transition the parts from bass 5 up to the top 3?

The bass drum line was pretty much a complete afterthought until about 3pm on August 3rd, 1985. If anyone knows the significance of that date and time, you know what I'm talking about.

Was that during the bass/Bob Barfield feature during Florida Suite, possibly?

The basses are definitely overlooked on drum judge tapes, they easily get the least amount of comments. Mellophones have become overlooked within hornline sounds today; theyre nowhere near as prominent as they had been in the past. The books that mellophones have been getting in recent years are also incomparable to those from the 90's.

it would look like bluecoats last summer at finals.

They weren't missing a 4, they were missing a 5.

i also would like to add that when i say 4th bass is overlooked, i don't mean to say that we have the least amount of parts or anything...i know i had lots of notes this summer, but that was because i'm a 4 year vet....anyways

what i was trying to say is that when you watch a bassline, you almost never notice their 4th bass. EVERYONE notices the 5th and 2nd/1st right away. 3rd is close behind. but you almost never notice the 4th bass.

<==primo don Bass #2!!!!! B)