The most underrated section of a drum corps

sday88

...if I had to pick a section it would be the pit - they generally caught the brunt of the frustration from the members on the field, and you rarely hear about how amazing a pit feature was (NO, this isn't my personal opinion - that is unless you marched with me, then I plead the 5th).

That said, Regiment had an amazing pit this year.

As for the lower lead euphs - it depends on where you are. At some corps your actually the center of attention (but the girls still go for the d-line and trumpets first, what can you do).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea I agree. Lead sops dont' get any attention. We need more airtime... *cough* our egos need a boost apparently. (all in fun)

Actually I do agree with Bass lines, they are freakin saweet when they get tight and only on features do you get to hear it usually.

yea I agree. Lead sops dont' get any attention. We need more airtime... *cough* our egos need a boost apparently. (all in fun)

Actually I do agree with Bass lines, they are freakin saweet when they get tight and only on features do you get to hear it usually.

I'm a bit of a freak, because I lock on the bass most of the time. By comparison lead sops are pretty invisible to me.

"Most Overlooked Section(s)":

How about the COOKS!!! They don't appear on the field, but without them, the "tour" would go hungry. Then, the BUS & Equipment Vehicle DRIVERS. Thet don't appear on the field either, but without them the "Tour" wouldn't leave the parking lot.

Elphaba

"Most Overlooked Section(s)":

How about the COOKS!!! They don't appear on the field, but without them, the "tour" would go hungry. Then, the BUS & Equipment Vehicle DRIVERS. Thet don't appear on the field either, but without them the "Tour" wouldn't leave the parking lot.

Elphaba

OK...OK.... suddenly we're taking it to SUPPORT staff sections of the corps. Inevitable, I guess. But there was a thread a few weeks ago giving big props to the cooks

where several people mentioned drivers and grunts and all around general corps helping staff people.

My mom was seamstress for two corps, and when you look at the 1978 Guardsmen you are looking at gauntlets that my mom cut and sewed. About 140 pairs all

together, and she enjoyed every stitch. :blush:

I think the thread was intended as "within the performing corps" proper... But good call getting props to all the hard workers in the support staff.

NOW...back on topic :P

yeah...

Some bass drum lines totally smoke but get buried in the music. SCV's bass lines are always the best and you don't get a feel for what they're actually doing until you

hear them in sectionals.

My shortlist would be:

Mellophones

bass drums

third sopranos

third baritones

flags

I'm going to have to put the cymbal line in here, too. I mean, "Overlooked?" How about "eliminated!" Some mentions here about how some corps have just dumped

plate lines all together...which is a shame. Just like French Horns... GONE. I would have NEVER...EVER... even come close to implying or suggesting that the guys

in Madisons cymbal line were there 'cuz they were the least capable drummers of the drum section. EVER. They would have made my life HEL...CK for the whole season,

and you didn't want to be on those guy's bad side when I was in.

Like 'em or not... the cymbals and french horns and flugelhorns (sp?) were & ARE instruments that require a definite skill level to play. I'm re-adjusting my list:

Cymbal section (because they are becoming extinct now!)

Mellophones

bass drums

third sopranos ("someday...when you can ###### the pebble from my hand, young grasshopper, you may go...to be a second soprano.")

third baritones

flags

THE most overlooked person in any drum corps is whoever is playing 4th bass.

honestly.

i mean think about it...when you watch a bassline, how often do you pay attention to 4th bass?? i know the only reason i do is cuz i've marched it a few times...

4th bass is the forgetten member of the forgotten section

The first section I thought of was the colorguard, based purely on the work they have to put into it. I've heard lots of members say they wish they could join the guard to have a day off. I respect what the guard does everyday, it's definetly way much more work than I'd ever want to do. Having to look happy when they want to kill themselves ...

But I'd have to say that bass drumlines are often overlooked in shows, and such.

Definetly agree.

Within the drumline and the guard, there are subsections that get the majority of the attention (ie, snares and weapons).

I spent the majority of my years marching on the flag line.

The rifles and sabres ALWAYS got the most focus, not saying that we didnt get our corrections as well.

Once I was on the rifle line, I realized how much the staff focuses on the weapons and sometimes forgets about the flags.

With the drumline, the basses are undoubtedly overlooked.

I always heard comments from the box to snares and tenors, but rarely the basses.

The bassdrummers carry those drums on their shoulders, I give them much props.

I guess neither section is as easy as it appears.