1970 - Cabs Play Jets Halftime with Doc Severinsen?

Reading did halftime shows for the Eagles (at Franklin field, my first experience with Astroturf), and the Redskins (Sonny Jurgensen had a beer belly). We also did pre-game performances (actually just marching around the outfield) for the Phillies at Connie Mack Stadium. After the game started, we’d sit in the stands and wear out a beer vendor. And a few of us ran out to a small bar behind the left field foul line. We were a big hit in satin shirts and sequins.

The strangest pro sports performance we did had to be at Garden State Park for the Jersey Derby in 1965. We played outside the park before the races, and marched down the track before the main race. Thoroughbred tracks are covered with a very loose dirt surface a couple of inches deep. Made marching a real chore. And the dirt got into your white bucks as you went. A few minutes into the parade, they started to lead the horses out to the track. It was then discovered that the horses didn’t like drum corps. Must have been the non-chromatic horns.

Yes, I remember the Bucs doing a Monday Night Football game at the Vet, probably in the mid-1970s. Pretty special stuff!

Yes, Archie did the halftime for the 1960 NFL Championship between the Eagles and Packers, which was either at Franklin Field or the old Municipal (later renamed JFK) Stadium. The Eagles have never forgotten and, at one point, the Eagles had never lost a game in which the Musketeers performed halftime.

When I was with the corps, we also did games for the USFL Stars, both at Franklin Field and at the Vet. We also performed before game 3 of the 1983 World Series at the Vet v. the Baltimore Orioles. My mug is in that highlight video, and someday I will find a copy of it!

But back to the Jets / Cabs / Doc game at Shea... Any help on that?

"Drum Corps @ Halftimes":

It "Used to be" quite a "Common" occourance. I well remember Hawthorne performing at the 1961 & 1962 Washington Redskins games (Televised and videotaped) and for the New York Giants and Clevland Browns in the 1970s and 1980s.

Archer Epler at an Eagles game (Televised)in 1961, Casper Troopers at the Sugar Bowl in 1967 & 1968 (Televised & taped), and Garfield at a Miami game, in the pouring rain in 1970. St Paul Scouts were also featured at a televised NFL halftime in the early 1970s, and the Casper Troopers, Hutchinson Sky Ryders and the Argonne Rebels appeared at Denver Broncos old 'Mile Hi Stadium' for pre & halftime games performances.

Those days, sadly, are long gone.

Elphaba

In 1972, on December 31, the Caballeros played halftime at Three Rivers Stadium for the AFC Championship game between the Steelers-Dolphins. The year the Dolphins went undefeated.

Edited by cabalumsw

Sunrisers did several halftime performances at Jets games the years I marched.... when the Jets were still playing at Shea Stadium.

To put it mildly....... always an interesting experience. B)

Fran

The NY Giants used to play a preseason game at Yale Bowl in the 60's and the Hurcs did the halftime.

I got to go to the first Giant-Jet game ever played. It was preseason and was the year after the Jets won the super bowl.

It was crazy with 80,000 drunken fans.

Got to do the Steelers-Jets preseason game at the Meadowlands in 1977. Think it was the first time the Jets hosted at the Meadowlands and ####ed if I can remember why they played there. We were supposed to do the 1976 Giants-Jets preseason game but it got "hurricaned" out. The buses pulled up in PA and five minutes later got told to go back to the garages.

1978 game was memorable for three reasons:

1) Hershman told us to quit cheering for the Steelers until he got the check.

2) My dad went along to help the Quartermaster and found out what a Senior corps bus trip was like. :rolleyes: :P

2) A drunk hit our bus on the bridge going to the Joisey Turnpike. Happened right at dads seat. All I heard was "What's this ###hole doing?" CLUNK....

Got to do the Steelers-Jets preseason game at the Meadowlands in 1977. Think it was the first time the Jets hosted at the Meadowlands and ####ed if I can remember why they played there. We were supposed to do the 1976 Giants-Jets preseason game but it got "hurricaned" out. The buses pulled up in PA and five minutes later got told to go back to the garages.

1978 game was memorable for three reasons:

1) Hershman told us to quit cheering for the Steelers until he got the check.

2) My dad went along to help the Quartermaster and found out what a Senior corps bus trip was like. :rock: :P

2) A drunk hit our bus on the bridge going to the Joisey Turnpike. Happened right at dads seat. All I heard was "What's this ###hole doing?" CLUNK....

No Info on the Doc Severenson gig Sorry but when I joine dthe cabs we did exhibitions fopr everybody the Jets at shea. We were the first exhibition at Giants stadium 1976....We played alot of Half times at Giants stadium Met Nixon, OJ, all kinds of exciting charactors. We were at Yankee Stadium the Night Reggie hit three Home runs in the World series. We also played Halftime for the Browns in 86-87. They played the colts in the payoffs we were there tarveled all night in January Lots of fun.. Sorry about the Doc Severenson thing don't remember that one... 76 we played in Danville with the Late Maynard Ferguson. Also played for the queen of England that season. Man lots of great times....

Mike Ryan

Cabs 1975-2007

No Info on the Doc Severenson gig Sorry but when I joine dthe cabs we did exhibitions fopr everybody the Jets at shea. We were the first exhibition at Giants stadium 1976....We played alot of Half times at Giants stadium Met Nixon, OJ, all kinds of exciting charactors. We were at Yankee Stadium the Night Reggie hit three Home runs in the World series. We also played Halftime for the Browns in 86-87. They played the colts in the payoffs we were there tarveled all night in January Lots of fun.. Sorry about the Doc Severenson thing don't remember that one... 76 we played in Danville with the Late Maynard Ferguson. Also played for the queen of England that season. Man lots of great times....

Mike Ryan

Cabs 1975-2007

Hi Mike:

When we were offered to do the Steelers-Dolphins game in 72, Cos pooled the corps. No one wanted to ride the bus to Pittsburgh to perform on New Year's Eve so COs told the Steelers we wouldnot be coming to Pittsburgh. When told why no one wanted to do it, the Steelers offered to charter a plane for us and promised to have us back to celebrate New Year's Eve. We flew out of Newark early that morning and were back in Newark by around 7 pm. Nice deal and no bus ride!

I remember doing a Redskin game in 1971 and staying at Fort Belvoir in Virginia the night before the game. We did Giant games at Yankee Stadium, the Yale Bowl and at Shea Stadium in 1975 as well as Jet games.

Hi Mike:

When we were offered to do the Steelers-Dolphins game in 72, Cos pooled the corps. No one wanted to ride the bus to Pittsburgh to perform on New Year's Eve so COs told the Steelers we wouldnot be coming to Pittsburgh. When told why no one wanted to do it, the Steelers offered to charter a plane for us and promised to have us back to celebrate New Year's Eve. We flew out of Newark early that morning and were back in Newark by around 7 pm. Nice deal and no bus ride!

I remember doing a Redskin game in 1971 and staying at Fort Belvoir in Virginia the night before the game. We did Giant games at Yankee Stadium, the Yale Bowl and at Shea Stadium in 1975 as well as Jet games.

Was there for the Jet game in 75 remember the Jet Set Cheerleaders? Man that is a long time ago.

Mike Ryan

Just remembered Westshoremen did a PRE-Game show for the Tampa Bay-New Orleans preseason game in 1978. It was the week of the American Legion convention in N'aw Lins and game was the night(?) before the AL show. Football trivia: Saints were the first team that Tampa Bay ever beat after almost two full seasons and this was the rematch.

The Saints wanted us to do the halftime show but that would have cut into our party time so Hershman agreed to the pre-game show. Some corps members stayed for the game and some left and partied. Think doing the game was the reason we were allowed to practice in the SuperDome. Nothing like playing a note and hearing it bounce a few times off the top of the dome. :worthy: