NY Corps and when they folded

I don't think it was an actual merge, most of the members from the Gauchos and Greece Cadets most likley went to march somewhere, I thought most of them went to the Patriots, I know a few of my friends did.

The Northmen was a merger but that word never "sat" well back then. The Greece Cadets broke away from the Patriots back then leaving the Patriots in a rebuilding phase (hard times for them). In 1984 the Firebirds and the Greece Cadets came together to form The Northmen. 84 and 85 were hot years for this group and there was a lot of talk of them becoming Division 1. Unfortunately in 86 there there was a falling out during the winter with "Corky" and things started to fall apart. In early spring of 86 there was a "kind of" merger with Avant Garde. This was a hot time too because the show was being written and learned in about 6 weeks for the 86 season. Unfortunately again the cooperation didn't work out and the Northmen side pulled out in early May of that year. This killed any chance of either group going out so DCI lost 2 NY corps in one shot. Very sad days. :( There was so much potential and talent...and it all disappeared that year forever....

Edited by kinane3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Northmen was a merger but that word never "sat" well back then. The Greece Cadets broke away from the Patriots back then leaving the Patriots in a rebuilding phase (hard times for them). In 1984 the Firebirds and the Greece Cadets came together to form The Northmen. 84 and 85 were hot years for this group and there was a lot of talk of them becoming Division 1. Unfortunately in 86 there there was a falling out during the winter with "Corky" and things started to fall apart. In early spring of 86 there was a "kind of" merger with Avant Garde. This was a hot time too because the show was being written and learned in about 6 weeks for the 86 season. Unfortunately again the cooperation didn't work out and the Northmen side pulled out in early May of that year. This killed any chance of either group going out so DCI lost 2 NY corps in one shot. Very sad days. :( There was so much potential and talent...and it all disappeared that year forever....

It's sort of the same story in that area, junior corps wise. Thankfully, the Patriots rebounded and became a very good corps for a short time. The rest of the state died and look where they all are now...MEMORIES

The Southern Tier Grenadiers last competed in 1976

I miss those guys. For a local-circuit corps, they had an amazing hornline.

Fran

It's sort of the same story in that area, junior corps wise. Thankfully, the Patriots rebounded and became a very good corps for a short time. The rest of the state died and look where they all are now...MEMORIES

yea.... :( sad, sad, stories.

Fran

They did a baritone trio that pony stepped across the field playing a march...hmmm what was that Sousa tune?

Fran

Fran, I agree. Ken Turner did an amazing job with the Southern Tier Grenadier horn line. Very musical and tough arrangements. Fortunately for us in Geneva, our drum line and marching kept us ahead of them for most of my years.

Edited by Geneva

not to mention Crossmen and 27. But the Troopers?? come on Gary Donofrio was no big loss! :P

Just kidding.. after Gary marched Troopers in 81... he drove me to Bridgemen practice for two years... along with Ken E, Carol E, Ken K, Gary K......A bunch of LIK/Bridgemen aged out after 81.

I remember being on tour in 81 with LIK and there was sooo many people from these other corps always coming over to see how we all were doing... like the big brothers and sisters we should have had...

Jon or Dave,

Do you know what Gary Donofrio is doing now? He was a blast when I marched with him in 79 Kingsmen.

Jon or Dave,

Do you know what Gary Donofrio is doing now? He was a blast when I marched with him in 79 Kingsmen.

Of Course!! He's living in Alaska and works as a carpenter. I speak to him on occasion.. He was down in NY to see his family for Christmas 3 years ago... Thats the last time we hung out together...

If you want his email send me a PM and I'll look it up when I get home.

Beginning of what you said was probably correct, but you have the ending backwards. Northmen were contacted by Avante because Avante had few kids and Northmen had a ton. They went out and did one, maybe 2 drill camps and then (Northmen) members started calling the (Northmen) director and asking if they could take their funds raised with them to Lancers since Avante had folded - that's how the Northman 1/2 of staff and management found out about the break up - the Avante people had passed their membership roster - including the Northman part - on to Lancers and Lancers were calling the kids before anyone from the Avante side even let the Northman people know that they'd decided to bag it. The majority of the Northmen people ended up going to Dutchboy.

Here's one you missed: The Sounds of Central New York. I believe it was founded in 1979 - as a merger between 76ers and Mauraders. Only one season on the field: 1980 - particpicated in DCI in Montreal. Folded in spring of 1981 - a group went down to Garfield, and some went to Squires for their last season....