NY Corps and when they folded

Here's one you missed: The Sounds of Central New York. I believe it was founded in 1979 - as a merger between 76ers and Mauraders. Only one season on the field: 1980 - particpicated in DCI in Montreal. Folded in spring of 1981 - a group went down to Garfield, and some went to Squires for their last season....

A shot of memory hit me....I was a Military Policeman stationed at Seneca Army depot in NY when I saw an add on TV for the corps but really never heard of them.

I was suppose to march with Squires my last year but I decided to spend my off time going back to North Tonawanda to see my brother. We were told he didn't have much time left and he fooled everyone by living 26 great years. I did remember seeing Squires in 1981 at DCEast in Ithaca.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lost From the "City"":

Both St Catherine's corps, the Queensmen and the all girl Marionettes were folded at the end of the 1962 season. St Catherine's and the Brooklyn Loretto Knights were actually shut down after they came off the competition field in Septemeber at the Union City NJ "Closer". Another "City" corps, the Floyd Bennet Golden Eagles was also closed down around this time.

Long Island's Selden Cadets were folded at the end of 1965, with a BIG chunk of their hornline (And arranger-instructor Bob Bunce) going to the New York (Irwin Post) Kingsmen.

The Kingsmen and Brooklyn's St Rocco's Cadets were folded shortly after the season of 1968 began.

I'm sure that there are definite timelines for the loss of so many of the others such as the Lawmen & Regimental Cadets (Staten Island), and the OLPH Ridgemen, CMCC Warriors, Manhattanaires, Caret Cadets (Brooklyn) and St Ignatius & St Rita's Brassmen (Long Island) with most of them "Gone" by the mid 1970s.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

"Lost From the "City"":

Both St Catherine's corps, the Queensmen and the all girl Marionettes were folded at the end of the 1962 season. St Catherine's and the Brooklyn Loretto Knights were actually shut down after they came off the competition field in Septemeber at the Union City NJ "Closer".

And after the Queensmen folded, a whole bunch of top-notch talent from that corps headed for the Sunrisers senior corps. Frank Dorritie, the Sasso brothers, others....... the influx of talent really helped put the Sunrisers on the map, starting in 1963.

Fran

There were plenty of junior drum corps on the Island during the 60's that never saw the 70's. Or, late 70's. Let's name a few that weren't at the top of the heap, but provided many members to corps that were. I don't have the dates they ended, but here are a few to be remembered:

Babylon Islanders

Bellmore Thunderstreaks

Lindenaires from Lindenhurst

Farmingdale Vanguards

Riptides

Oceanside Legionaires

Bay Shore Red Devils

Port Jefferson Portsmen

Witness a parade on the Island back during that time, and you could catch many of these corps strutting their stuff. They also had standstill contests for the one's that hadn't turned M&M yet.

Now there's a fossil term for ya, (M&M).

Many members of the corps that folded went on to help fill the ranks of such legends as the Skyliners, Sunrisers, Blessed Sacrament, Hurricanes, etc.

You can take the boy out of the drum corps, but ya can't take the drum corps out of the boy!

Hey...the Kingston Indians. Didn't they have a show called the PowWow?

Yes they did, and here's a little Pow Wow action from 1966:

Saturday August 13, 1966

Kingston NY

Position Corps Score

1 St. Lucy's Cadets 86.100

2 Bridgeport PAL Cadets 85.550

3 Magnificent Yankees 85.320

4 Toronto Optimists 81.760

5 Garfield Cadets 81.450

6 Bronx Kingsmen 79.400

The Bronx Kingsmen were actually called the NY KIngsmen by then and don't be fooled by the placement or score. Those boys brought some serious heat. That brass line could kill small plants and animals.

The Northmen was a merger but that word never "sat" well back then. The Greece Cadets broke away from the Patriots back then leaving the Patriots in a rebuilding phase (hard times for them). In 1984 the Firebirds and the Greece Cadets came together to form The Northmen. 84 and 85 were hot years for this group and there was a lot of talk of them becoming Division 1. Unfortunately in 86 there there was a falling out during the winter with "Corky" and things started to fall apart. In early spring of 86 there was a "kind of" merger with Avant Garde. This was a hot time too because the show was being written and learned in about 6 weeks for the 86 season. Unfortunately again the cooperation didn't work out and the Northmen side pulled out in early May of that year. This killed any chance of either group going out so DCI lost 2 NY corps in one shot. Very sad days. :( There was so much potential and talent...and it all disappeared that year forever....

I was with Avant Garde from its beginning, and I'm not saying this isn't true but if it is, it's the first I have heard of it. The Avant Garde Folded early in 86, mainly because long time director Jeff Perkins resigned and wanted to different things. Jeff was a much loved man, most everyone knew that it would never be the same without him. The day that he resigned was when most members left the Avant Garde, and esentially ending their status as an active D&B corp. There were a few die hards that tried very hard to keep it going and may have contacted another corp, but as I said, AG died when Jeff resigned. Very few of our members at that point were local. Many of them were from the northern part of the state or from other states altogether.

Quick shout out to my buddy ODBC

Edited by BariBrian

I can remember that the Purple Lancers folded with a very strong membership showing...over 50+ horns, a full drum line and guard at winter camps...but a management that was terrified because we were being asked to tour. We had made finals in 74 and now the corps was supposed to do what the other DCI corps did. It was a local bunch that ran the corps and they were wonderful people, but they didnt have any ideas as to what they were up against.

That was a shame. It was the winter of 1975.

Donny

I was with Avant Garde from its beginning, and I'm not saying this isn't true but if it is, it's the first I have heard of it. The Avant Garde Folded early in 86, mainly because long time director Jeff Perkins resigned and wanted to different things. Jeff was a much loved man, most everyone knew that it would never be the same without him. The day that he resigned was when most members left the Avant Garde, and esentially ending their status as an active D&B corp. There were a few die hards that tried very hard to keep it going and may have contacted another corp, but as I said, AG died when Jeff resigned. Very few of our members at that point were local. Many of them were from the northern part of the state or from other states altogether.

Quick shout out to my buddy ODBC

It was May-June ish - so I guess you could say it was early spring. He (Jeff Perkins) may well have resigned with out letting the Northmen side of the merger know. (Obviously, as I was on that side - I only know that side) he was at the camps (I think there were 2) at RDC and that's where I first met him. I still see him on occasion. I don't know who was responsible for giving Lancers the roster. I just know that from the Rochester side of the state, that's how the message got out. One weekend we were in Rome, and the next we were in Ontario.....

Edited by Oldguardhag