Favorite Musical Moments of 2006

1 - Cavies: The "new" ending (like after the part where they used to just cut out) gives me chills. Like that part where they're in the low brass block with the high brass stream think cutting through it and it switches... :rolleyes:

2 - Phantom: The entire thing. Period.

3 - Blue Devils: Again, the new ending (last minute or so) where they're in the + type thing moving down... b**bs

4 - Bluecoats: Trumpet solo. You can tell he just wanted it so bad, and the crowd reaction when he nails it finals night is awesome. Must be an awesome feeling... The ballad is also incredible.

5 - Cadets: "But... where are we?" "MADISON!!!!" Seriously, love White Rabbit.

6 - Vanguard: Love the wail part of Newton's Cradle, the echo part of the ballad, and VANGUARD!!!

7 - Blue Knights: Whole show, really. I dunno, I just really liked this show.

8 - Crown: The repeated main theme and of course the "scary" section after the ballad are awesome. I love this hornline's sound.

9 - Madison: Opener mainly. I liked the finals performance much more than any other show they did. Just came together.

10 - Boston: Again, whole show. Took a while, but this show grew on me.

11 - Glassmen: Silent section gives me chills every time (and no, this is not a dig at their corps sound :P )

12 - Spirit: Opener, especially the opening statement. B)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my overall favorite was Phantom's Ave Maria during their 16 count crescendo and second would be when the horns first came in during the scouts show.

And I laugh at the fact that some of the crap that spewed out of those rusty bugles of the corps in the '70s was actually called "music."

I know it's been a few years and I was fairly young but, I just don't remember any rusty bugles nor do I recall anything that sounded remotely like crap spewing forth from said instruments. Sometimes you'll find it's purdent to keep quiet concerning something about which you obviously know nothing.

I know it's been a few years and I was fairly young but, I just don't remember any rusty bugles nor do I recall anything that sounded remotely like crap spewing forth from said instruments. Sometimes you'll find it's purdent to keep quiet concerning something about which you obviously know nothing.

But there's no denying that the musicality of the shows performed in the '90s and 2000s was in a completely different realm than that of shows from the early '70s. Maybe it's just due to the bad audio recording quality, but I can't stand listening to anything before 1978.

But there's no denying that the musicality of the shows performed in the '90s and 2000s was in a completely different realm than that of shows from the early '70s. Maybe it's just due to the bad audio recording quality, but I can't stand listening to anything before 1978.

Obviously, recording techniques, quality of instruments, complexity of charts and arrangements have increased in the last few years (though I won't go so far as to say with certainty that musicality is now "in a completely different realm"). But to so completely denigrate everything prior to 1978 (or any year, for that matter) is very shortsighted.

Edited by ChicagoFan

Obviously, recording techniques, quality of instruments, complexity of charts and arrangements have increased in the last few years (though I won't go so far as to say with certainty that musicality is now "in a completely different realm"). But to so completely denigrate everything prior to 1978 (or any year, for that matter) is very shortsighted.

I think it was part of Hrothgar's point that to do the same to today's music is equally as shortsighted.

1. Cavaliers- Pretty much the whole show, but it'll take a while for me to get "Wired" out of my head. Just great.

2. Phantom Regiment- Same as above, but if I had to pick one...after they finished the Resurrection chorale at the end, there's a percussion break and then the hornline comes in. Throughout most of the season the hornline had played one part, but I assume just before the championships (correct me if I'm wrong), they changed the part. I wasn't aware of this, and I was suprisingly thrown back into my seat with that huge Regiment sound. What an ending...

3. Blue Devils- Easy: the big push in the opener with the Love Theme. Loved how it was executed, with the cross, the puppet summoning the cross over, timpani role into dahhhhh-dahhh-dahhhh-DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAHHHHHHHH.

4. Bluecoats- Sorry, can't decide. One of the greatest musical performances of the night. But if I had to pick...four, I'd say the opener as a whole, "The Tihai" as a whole, the ballad as a whole, and...the entire trumpet solo section of the opener. I don't know about you guys, but I flew out of my seat when he hit that note.

5. Cadets- Trumpet lick at the end of the opener was phenomenal.

6. Santa Clara Vanguard- A classic Vanguard peformance. Yelling "VANGUARD!!!!!" at the top of my lungs--while being drowned out by everyone surrounding me--is something I'll never forget. As for my favorite musical moment...gonna have to go with the park-and-blow in "Chains of Reaction." That was ridiculous...ly amazing.

7. Blue Knights- Also easy. The whole intro leading to the push, percussion, break, and into the infamous "DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAYAHHH-DAYAHHH."

8. Crown- :rolleyes::laugh::wub::wub::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::laugh:

Whoops. Another one I can't comment on. Trying to describing this show in words would be like taking the Lord's name in vain. Let's just say I cried at the end.

9. Madison Scouts- Company front in the closer was amazing.

10. Boston Crusaders- The entire ballad (just beautiful), but specifically the climax. Daaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Einstein on the Beach knows what I'm talking about.

11. Glassmen- Definitely, "DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH."

"DAH-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH."

12. Spirit- Blues in the Night for sure. What are they feeding that baritone soloist over there?

...glad you liked 2006, haha. :)

(I'm glad it was a great year for drum corps, too)

I only got to go to 1 show this year and haven't really started listening to recordings yet. Fortunantly it was the Atlanta regional so I got to see all the big names plus some. unfortunantly, I was sitting about as far from the field as you can get. So, my favorite musical moments were the ones where the hornline actually filled up the stadium and I could feel their intensity from a good quarter mile away.

Those corps were:

Spirit

Madison

Phantom

Crown

On another note I liked Blue Stars singing moment

I have a lot of favorites this year, but the one that I think was easily my favorite of the year:

BK's hit in the ballad.

~>conner