Who would love the Cadets again?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i find funny is that the original poster seems to think that before 2005....cadets shows were never gimmicky or full of props or full of cheese or criticized. ever.

70, 85, 91, 93, 95, 96, 99, 01, 02...just to name a few from the "pre-amps, PERFECT drum corps" era.

Edited by Byron

idk if i can so easily forget the nightmares i recieved from that show.....dk if i can watch them and not whimper......lol

what i find funny is that the original poster seems to think that before 2005....cadets shows were never gimmicky or full of props or full of cheese or criticized. ever.

785, 91, 93, 95, 96, 99, 01, 02...just to name a few from the "pre-amps, PERFECT drum corps" era.

All of those shows were very tastefully done, except for 2002.

Wanna name the "gimmicks" of the 2001 show?

What baffles me is that unfortunately, this is not the course the design team will take for 2007. They will find new ways to feature vocalists, new ways to emphasize amplified singing in drum corps, new ways to add English dialogue throughout the show, new ways to feature props and a set for the use of storytelling.

Let's hope so.

It's taking the formula of what is drum and bugle corps, keeping it the same, but representing it in a way never seen before,

No, absolutely untrue. In that case, we'd still be starting in the left endzone and exiting out the right....marching a prescribed tempo...no mallets..no grounded anything...guards that marched around doing next to nothing...horns not being capable of playing ALL the notes.

70, 85, 91, 93, 95, 96, 99, 01, 02...just to name a few from the "pre-amps, PERFECT drum corps" era.

1970? There were part of the show I loved (I was in Garfield that year)...but don't forget the concert medley from *shudder" "Paint Your Wagon". B)

This exactly what the Cadets did throughout the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s, and it's the reason they are by far my favorite drum and bugle corps. They produced so many masterpieces that I've come to know and love

What baffles me is that unfortunately, this is not the course the design team will take for 2007. They will find new ways to feature vocalists, new ways to emphasize amplified singing in drum corps, new ways to add English dialogue throughout the show, new ways to feature props and a set for the use of storytelling. But the one thing they will not due, if the 2007 show is in the same direction as 2006, is entertain the audience, which is the primary function of a drum and bugle corps show.

Innovation is having an amazing, breathtaking, emotional, powerful, glorious, mature, epic show with incredible music and incredible drill, a stupendous performance in the hornline, drumline, pit, and guard, and nothing more. It's taking the formula of what is drum and bugle corps, keeping it the same, but representing it in a way never seen before, and bringing the audience to their feet while doing it. This is what the Cavaliers did this year, and it's what the Cadets used to do for so many years that garnered them such a huge (now declining) fanbase.

Innovation is not using what high school marching bands have been using for years in order to produce an insipid, idiotic, cheesy, awkward, silly, stupid, insulting mockery of a drum and bugle corps performance, which is exactly what their 2006 show was.

For someone so young and whose exposure to the activity goes back only a couple of years, you've certainly become an expert on the history and development of drum and bugle corps. You also seem to have been granted the ability to see into the future, the liscence to speak for each and every fan, and, apparently have been named arbiter of all matters concerning entertainment value, taste and style. All hail the great and powerful Hrothgar.

It must be lonely at the top.

.........The Cadets came out in '07 and dropped all vocalization, all props and gimmicks, and just plain and simple rocked the freakin house with some musical powerhouse. No spoofs, just balls to the walls music and maddening drill. Nothing mic'd up but the front line. Would you love The Cadets again? I for one would again assume the posture of Cadets fan. Chances of that happening? I'd say about 3%, maybe less.

"Lost Love":

Get serious about a return to "G" BUGLES and we'll talk about it.

Elphaba