2006 Finals

Finals  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Which show should have won?

• The Godfather: Part Blue
    • Faust
    • Machine

If finals had been just a week later, I think Phantom could have pulled out a win. Watching both corps on finals night-- it's clear the Cavaliers won. I enjoyed Phantom Regiment's show more then the Cavaliers (Machine is one of my favorite cavalier shows), but The Cavaliers just performed their show a bit better then Phantom. It's not the judges job to decide which show they liked better-- it's their job to decide which one performed better, and that was obviously the Cavaliers on finals night.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite show was Phantom Regiment for the common reasons: very emotional, a cranked up bass system, great ballad, great hornline, and one of the best GE based shows I've seen with a classical approach.

(Something I'd watch many times)

The Cavaliers, were obviously going to win. The show had great effect, but now I get the impression that the Cavaliers have a very formulaic show to me. Great visuals but I don't think the musical rep was there as much as the shows before it, I swear I can't remember what they were playing.

(It was nice, just nice...)

My favorite show was Phantom Regiment for the common reasons: very emotional, a cranked up bass system, great ballad, great hornline, and one of the best GE based shows I've seen with a classical approach.

(Something I'd watch many times)

The Cavaliers, were obviously going to win. The show had great effect, but now I get the impression that the Cavaliers have a very formulaic show to me. Great visuals but I don't think the musical rep was there as much as the shows before it, I swear I can't remember what they were playing.

(It was nice, just nice...)

I remember what they were playing pretty well. I'd almost go as far to say that I thought their music was great. That motif from their ballad was stuck in my head for a while after I first saw the show. I never really got into Phantom's show that much (and best ballad would go to Bluecoats, in my mind). Guess it's all just personal opinion.....

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Who cares

The people who bother to read these posts.

An now for something completely different...

Cavies definitely had it. Personally I thought BD should have had 2nd. Phantom's show didn't do it for me. Their pit didn't once attract my attention, and the guard was a lower level than last year. And I didn't like their visual program. And I couldn't understand the music (more like a concert on a field than drum corps, if you know what I mean).

Ok, I liked Phantom's show the best, since it was really emotional, and the design was really cool too. Cavies and Blue Devils also did an outstanding job as well, but this is like comparing apples and oranges here. they all played completely different types of music, and had completely different visuals, drill, etc. thats why "who should have won" and "whos show did you like best" will sometimes be completely different answers. As I said before, I enjoyed Phantom's show before, but I thought Cavies had a cleaner show overall...

Bottom line: The fact that we're having this discussion means that it was a great year for drum corps, and that for the most part, there was something on the field for everybody.

The Cavaliers were the official champions, but more than anyone, the drum corps community won in 2006.

Bottom line: The fact that we're having this discussion means that it was a great year for drum corps, and that for the most part, there was something on the field for everybody.

The Cavaliers were the official champions, but more than anyone, the drum corps community won in 2006.

This post is a winner.

Cavies were cleaner than any one else on finals night and therefore won. Who had more demand and artistic merrit? Phantom did by a long shot, a true drum corps show that is about the music first and was not effect driven. I think if Devs had the rights to more of the music they might have come up with a better show. Lots of "knowledgable" fans out there that eat up the Cavies stuff, but they just can't seem to grasp the concept of what the hornline is being asked to do. Just not musically that hard...

Cavies were cleaner than any one else on finals night and therefore won. Who had more demand and artistic merrit? Phantom did by a long shot, a true drum corps show that is about the music first and was not effect driven. I think if Devs had the rights to more of the music they might have come up with a better show. Lots of "knowledgable" fans out there that eat up the Cavies stuff, but they just can't seem to grasp the concept of what the hornline is being asked to do. Just not musically that hard...

Then what is musically hard? Does music have to be hard to be good now?