Replacing a Legend

YES! The Bristol, RI announcer! He's awesome, althought I did think he had started his Fourth of July a little early when he announced for us. He is as legendary as the grass in Bristol :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I've just heard from Brandt, who likewise has heard there is a thread here about him retiring. That's how things get twisted in drum corps. He's asked me the following. <<Would you please set the record straight, that I am not retiring from DCI, WGI or Mizzou anytime soon unless ill health gets in the way or I am released.>>

Long live the legend!

Say it isn't so. No offense to Mr. Potter, who I'm sure is a great guy, but those syrupy-sweet, touchy-feely interviews he does between corps at major shows inject enough sacharrine into the proceedings to give audiences a sugar rush.

A-MEN!

The Next DCI World Championships Announcers:

rosslawler4fs.jpg

Just for you, Jeff :P

I never said that I wanted him to retire, or give up his position, I just wanted to see some discussion on what people think. I'm really happy to hear that he still has a lot of years left, because his legend is incomparable, and generations to come should be able to feel how awesome it is when Brandt announces your corps name when you're ready to perform a great show! :rolleyes:

Michael, you do a great job as well, and you don't need to worry about me gunning for it. :P

And next time you talk to Mr. Crocker, tell him I said hi!

whoever you decide, you cant have fran Haring. DCA aint letting him go. you can however have his ugly shirts

The Next DCI World Championships Announcers:

rosslawler4fs.jpg

Just for you, Jeff :P

JR: "I tell ya King, we have a real slobberknocker tonight! Cavies vs. the Devs, no holds barred...why, the venom is so thick between the two, we should have a steel cage around the field"

Lawler: " yeah that's great JR, but have you seen the legs on Phantom's guard? look at how all of those long legs go all the way up and make perfect ##### of themselves!"

whoever you decide, you cant have fran Haring. DCA aint letting him go. you can however have his ugly shirts

Reminder to self: Never hire Jeff Ream as my agent. :P

Fran

But seriously.....

A question related to this topic.... perhaps Mike Boo or someone else with some historical knowledge of DCI can answer:

Why was Brandt not the announcer for a few DCI Finals? I know he didn't announce Finals in 1974 and 1975 (I did hear his voice doing Prelims in '75, on the recording I have of Muchachos' Prelims show) .... and I think there might have been another guy doing the PA work at one of the Finals held in Montreal, early 1980's.

On the surface, it doesn't make any sense that someone else would do the PA work for those few Finals, since Brandt has worked the rest of 'em before and since.

Anyone know the story behind this?

Fran

OK.... not so seriously......

How about getting Don LaFontaine, the guy who's the voice of all those movie "trailer" promos you hear at theaters?

"In a world where a schoolgirl stumbles through a door and into The Zone...... please welcome The Cadets!!!!!!!" B)

Fran