The Lorin Solo

I'm very surprised more people on here didn't know about this book since there was an ad for it on the front page of DCP for months.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, this was the reason the Hollywood Knights were formed. After the movie attempt folded, they figured they had the equipment and uniforms, why not put them on the field?

They marched one season.

Maybe a former member who posts here can shed a little light on this, but that's one story I heard.

Garry

I still have the article about Gerard (2-7 DM) and I going out to Hollywood to work with the Knights as well as be in the movie but he never got the funding.

He wanted Ernest Borgnine to play George B. I'll get the article out and scan it. Gerard did go to CA prior to any corps being formed but when he decided not to return, I didn't.

I'll scan in the article....

I was around when this first got written. Chuck Edwards was a hoot - kinda like Rocco O. with credentials. I think he did the series Police Woman, starring Angie Dickinson.

Anyway, he had high hopes of making hte Lorin Solo into a movie. As I recall, he told us that he had Harrison Ford lined up to play Wayne Downey, Ernest Borgnine for Jerry Seawright and a few others. It ended up as a musical put on at LA City College. I went to see it because my roommate at the time (Larrie Dastrup) was the Musical Director. It was hilarious (although not always intentional).

Hopefully Larrie will see this thread and give more inside scoop.

As for Drum corps books, there are also Not for the Faint of Heart by Jeremy Van Wert (aka Spike) about the mid-90s Vanguard that is quite good. And of course, The Renegade Journal by Lee Rudnicki.

As I recall, he told us that he had Harrison Ford lined up to play Wayne Downey, Ernest Borgnine for Jerry Seawright .

OK...I could almost see Borgnine for Jerry...but Han Solo as Wayne? Does not compute!!

we need a drum corps movie!

Paging Lee Rudnicki to the white courtesy phone...Lee Rudnicki to the white courtesy phone....

• 1 month later...

I was in "The Lorin Solo" at LA City College in 1982!

My memory of the details is hazy but in response to the comment about starting Hollywood Knights with uniforms and equipment left over from the play --

The actual "corps" was played by members of the Kingsmen. There was a group of maybe 10 of us who played the color guard for the fictional Hollywood Stars as well as doing a group performance where each of us had on a different retired uniform (I wore a Blue Devils goucho uniform in white.) Oh, and they used us as extras in a few of the ensemble scenes and tried to make us sing!

BTW, Jay Kennedy did the music.

What a hoot!

Edited by elayes