Magic's 2007 Info Meeting

What gets me is the fact that they send people on here to be a mouth piece

So far three of us I think have stepped up to say anything, myself and two parents. I for one was not asked to say anything anywhere and only got sucked into this conversation by having my email posted and then having to defend my reasons for asking for it to be removed. I haven't even talked to anyone from the corps.

This corps....UNLIKE OTHERS...was given a glorious opportunity to survive and THRIVE.

From my understanding, this corps was promised a ton of things, bankrolled a huge season and then had everyone and their money walk away. That they survived that "opportunity" is the shocker, not that they are in need now. And there were no guest stars that I know of, just well paid staff.

Perhaps it does start at the top, but the fact remains that Magic has not ever had the kind of support a corps needs to run properly. When I marched, when the corps was new, we had to rely almost entirely on parents and usually only a few at that. Now, 15 years later, there should be a much bigger community to support the corps. Without that, it falls on a handful of people who just can't do it all.

Perhaps because of my struggles with the alumni, I can see how hard their job is. It's easy to sit back and say "they should" but it's a whole different ball game to make it happen. By the reasoning here, because I can't get the alumni motivated to fundraise or volunteer, I am a poor leader (and/or a jerk), yet if I step down, then it's "Why is she quitting? It must be someone's fault." There is no one willing to replace me, so the position would yet again be empty. Catch-22. Sometimes you do something because no one else is there to do it and you do the best you can and put your heart into it.

I am sorry I can't answer all the questions, but that doesn't mean there aren't answers, just that I don't know them.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all of the dollars floating around in central Florida, I am surprised they can't really come up with some innovative ways to finance the corps. They need some things that aren't directly attached to the corps that funnel their revenues into the corps. Easy to say, I know, but it seems to me that is going to be the way to make it work. Something that appeals to tourists, but can be worked at by corps members to raise funds for the corps (and their own dues, etc). The potential opportunities are endless in that area, although I admittedly do not know what the startup expenses would be.

So this is a local based drum corps? All the members are from the Orlando area? I was under the impression that most members were from out of town...I may be wrong or I may be right.

Dollars? There are two drum corps in Orlando and the junior corps was set up for Bingo. Where's the Bingo now? The senior corps works their tails off every year to find ways to make money. People were brought down to set the Bingo operation up...so wha' happen?

So far three of us I think have stepped up to say anything, myself and two parents. I for one was not asked to say anything anywhere and only got sucked into this conversation by having my email posted and then having to defend my reasons for asking for it to be removed. I haven't even talked to anyone from the corps.

Meredith,

I, for one, want to thank you for taking the time to post what you know. Without your input, and that of the other people who attended, none of us would have a clue as to what was going on.

Magic has still not updated anything on it's message board, as I reported yesterday. So, if it wasn't for you, what would we do?? :(

I agree meredith, i've learned more about Magic from this thread than idid from people I know who worked there!

So this is a local based drum corps? All the members are from the Orlando area? I was under the impression that most members were from out of town...I may be wrong or I may be right.

Dollars? There are two drum corps in Orlando and the junior corps was set up for Bingo. Where's the Bingo now? The senior corps works their tails off every year to find ways to make money. People were brought down to set the Bingo operation up...so wha' happen?

Yes, they are a local based corps Keith. Their address on the website says a PO Box in Kissimmee. But Meredith is right about the lack of alumni support.

Because it's sad when outside people come in to try and help and we went all over town to ask for money for the corps, but when we proposed the ideas we had for them, nobody wanted to step up and provide the information needed in order to get things done. We even went around asking for schools to host the corps for camps. Nobody around here would touch them...why? Cause past corps didn't leave a favorable impression when cleaning up from what we were told by staff at schools we went to. But there are other places they could go practice and set up shop I'm sure. At one point they were discussing using the Bingo Hall to practice and hold camps. I don't know what happened there. We even tried to let them know it was a different administration..they didn't want to hear it.

Where's the Bingo? The Bingo wasn't making enough money, I'm sure that the location had something to do with it but I think it's cause again, there was not enough help from alumni and other issues involved. I would personally set it up so that the kids could work to pay off their dues. I still don't know if the Bingo money goes back to the State like it does for alot of corps so maybe that had something to do with it as well.

Edited by Lancerlady

Hmmmm I bet Sarasota would be a better place for a drum corps. Money is here. Support of the Arts is great and the schools are nice too.

The Trooper situation took place during the off-season, so I'm sure DCI can step in when needed. I'm not saying they need to with this, just pointing it out.

I think in that situation there were three letters that made the difference...I..R..S. :sshh:

Kinda goes with K..G..B. Either way, three letters DCI did not want to get mixed up in.

Cause past corps didn't leave a favorable impression when cleaning up from what we were told by staff at schools we went to.

This I can speak about first hand. Magic got this reputation in the 90's and it is undeserved, imo. Band directors would have us out in return for a clinic. Well, they either wouldn't tell the principals or no one would tell the janitor. We would actually have janitors following around staff and kids and complaining about equipment in the hallways (that we were given permission to use) and trash cans needing to be emptied, which we always emptied if given access to the dumpsters! For nearly ever camp from 91 to 97, I was one of the last ones left, if not the last one, and I can assure you, they were clean. But if the principal was mad or the janitor made enough noise, we weren't allowed back. So what does the band director say to his director friends? That he screwed up and didn't tell anyone we were coming? No, he says we were too messy (or too loud). There is only one school I know has right to be mad and that's because the Ryder got stuck on the practice field and tore a huge patch trying to get unstuck. That was not a camp, it was on tour.

This I can speak about first hand. Magic got this reputation in the 90's and it is undeserved, imo. Band directors would have us out in return for a clinic. Well, they either wouldn't tell the principals or no one would tell the janitor. We would actually have janitors following around staff and kids and complaining about equipment in the hallways (that we were given permission to use) and trash cans needing to be emptied, which we always emptied if given access to the dumpsters! For nearly ever camp from 91 to 97, I was one of the last ones left, if not the last one, and I can assure you, they were clean. But if the principal was mad or the janitor made enough noise, we weren't allowed back. So what does the band director say to his director friends? That he screwed up and didn't tell anyone we were coming? No, he says we were too messy (or too loud). There is only one school I know has right to be mad and that's because the Ryder got stuck on the practice field and tore a huge patch trying to get unstuck. That was not a camp, it was on tour.

I spoke with people at a couple of middle Schools in Kissimmee actually. Because a person asked us to go over there since we lived by them. And they said it happened recently and that was in 04. So I'm guessing that this still happened in 00's as well as the 90's. Anyway..I know kids will be kids but, when I marched it was imperative that we all had a duty to clean up after ourselves after any place we were. Practicing or on tour.

Something else must've happened that maybe you don't know about, the lady didn't elabarote, but she was adamant about it. She wouldn't even let us speak to the principal. All we did was mention "Magic of Orlando"..and it was a firm "NO", we even offered money.."NO". So..anyway...

Where's the Bingo? The Bingo wasn't making enough money, I'm sure that the location had something to do with it but I think it's cause again, there was not enough help from alumni and other issues involved. I would personally set it up so that the kids could work to pay off their dues. I still don't know if the Bingo money goes back to the State like it does for alot of corps so maybe that had something to do with it as well.

My only thought is whether Florida law would allow under 18 members to work the Bingo, especially considering that under 18 members are more likely to be from the area than college age members. I know that, for Glassmen's Monte Carlo fundraiser, members under 18 are not allowed in the building once the card playing starts. They can help set up before hand, however.