Your ideas for the New York Skyliners

You know? ... for me ... the Skyliners didn't have a style of music; they had a style of playing, and a style of being. If you look at some of the music they played it doesnt seem like something from NY.

Lucretia McEvil

Flight of the Bumble Bee

Somewhere Out There

The Witch

Hava Nagila

I Only Have Eyes for You

Alabama Jubilee

Caravan

It was the style in which they played it all that hooked me. It was an "in your face" style coming from the horn and drumline. They played the loudest of louds and even though some of the music was technical, you could still walk to your car with the tune in your head. Sky needs to get that attitude back; the one where the scores didn't matter. They need to put the crowd entertainment first and forget the judges. Some of the best shows I loved were when the judges tanked the corps and the crowd boo'd the scores and placement.

No... you don't need to bring back the old music; let the alumni play that. That's what they're there for. And if you choose to bring back any of Hy's music, it does need to be updated; which BTW, Hy was a master at. He rewrote his arrangements as the times changed.

As for latin music, I loved some of the tunes Sky played last year. I believe if they had a larger guard, more consistent drumline, and maybe 3 more lead baritones and one contra, they would have really rocked.

Im looking forward to what you guys and gals put together. I can't wait for the 2007 season to start to see it.

Good luck NY.

Hey, where did I hear that before? A man after my own heart.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Skyliners Alumni 2007.

Saw Skyliners Alumni in Rochester this year. Can't get enough of them. :P

You know? ... for me ... the Skyliners didn't have a style of music; they had a style of playing, and a style of being. If you look at some of the music they played it doesnt seem like something from NY.

Lucretia McEvil

Flight of the Bumble Bee

Somewhere Out There

The Witch

Hava Nagila

I Only Have Eyes for You

Alabama Jubilee

Caravan

It was the style in which they played it all that hooked me. It was an "in your face" style coming from the horn and drumline. They played the loudest of louds and even though some of the music was technical, you could still walk to your car with the tune in your head. Sky needs to get that attitude back; the one where the scores didn't matter. They need to put the crowd entertainment first and forget the judges. Some of the best shows I loved were when the judges tanked the corps and the crowd boo'd the scores and placement.

No... you don't need to bring back the old music; let the alumni play that. That's what they're there for. And if you choose to bring back any of Hy's music, it does need to be updated; which BTW, Hy was a master at. He rewrote his arrangements as the times changed.

As for latin music, I loved some of the tunes Sky played last year. I believe if they had a larger guard, more consistent drumline, and maybe 3 more lead baritones and one contra, they would have really rocked.

Im looking forward to what you guys and gals put together. I can't wait for the 2007 season to start to see it.

Good luck NY.

"Dontcha go way Mad" is a must add to this list.

Let the alumni corps play the past, it's time for real Sky to move into the 21st century. I'm quite sure they hired Lee to move them forward with newness and innovation. They could always show there roots in the last minute.

Edited by zarblap

Don't laugh if you haven't heard the recording...

Tommy Tune's revamping of 'Grease'

Of course I would love to see Sky taking on some great Broadway shows

Music from "Rent"...

seriously.

Well if you want the current musical I have yet to see Urinetown or Avenue q on the field. Between the puppets and the…well, there are some catchy numbers

So something unique and in your face…

I’d love to see a Tommy James and the Shondells show but don’t dwell on the monster hits, a short line of passing fer sure but their real genius was their second tier hits

Hanky Panky

Dragging the line (drum solo except for the bleep bleep horns at the end)

Crystal Blue Persuasion

Ball of fire (sure to become an all time favorite)

Or a Tribute to Junk

Heroin

Just one fix /Nod scene (drum solo)

Medication

Come down easy / lord I’m not going to die tonight

(I envision twirling syringes)

Dream Theater put out some good song. I also think that Elton John's Funeral for a friend/love lies bleading would be a great choice for the second half of the production. And it is possible to play the ENTIRE SONG!!! Funeral for a friend would provide for a good sounding ballad and then a final punch with love lies bleading.

Lucretia McEvil

Flight of the Bumble Bee

Somewhere Out There

The Witch

Hava Nagila

I Only Have Eyes for You

Alabama Jubilee

Caravan

Good luck NY.

Exactly.

Where did your Matadors picture go ? Did the anti-amplification crowd give you too much garbage for the megaphones :) I LOVE the Matadors.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Fran:

We also did "Late in the Evening"as a percussion feature in "81"

That I did not know! My apologies. I DO know you guys had a great drumline in 1981.

Fran