DCI Dominance, The Percussion Edition

This is a great chart, but it doesn't capture those groups that were 2nd place several years in a row - an accomplishment in its own right. Vanguard is the first to come to mind.

Of course, looking at his chart... Vanguard is pretty heavily mentioned amoung percussion, seeing as how they have more drum titles than anyone.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, looking at his chart... Vanguard is pretty heavily mentioned amoung percussion, seeing as how they have more drum titles than anyone.

Not completely true:

10 - BD

10 - SCV

6 - Cadets

4 - Cavaliers (5 if you count 91's 3 way tie. I notated SCV for 1991 per High GE in Drums.)

3 - Bridgemen

1 - Star of Indiana (2 if you count 91's 3 way tie. I notated SCV for 1991 per High GE in Drums.)

1 - Kingsmen

1 - Phantom Regiment

Not completely true:

10 - BD

10 - SCV

6 - Cadets

4 - Cavaliers (5 if you count 91's 3 way tie. I notated SCV for 1991 per High GE in Drums.)

3 - Bridgemen

1 - Star of Indiana (2 if you count 91's 3 way tie. I notated SCV for 1991 per High GE in Drums.)

1 - Kingsmen

1 - Phantom Regiment

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but BD's 1977 percussion trophy deserves an asterisk.

Some Perspective: :laughing:

Thanks for the recap Jeffe. I didn't realise that the Blue Knights tied with SCV for 6th place in drums

yes. I thought Star and Crossmen were both much better, and Cadets, minus the big schlock on their initial entrance were up there. Plus, Cavies drum solo to this day grates me nerves for the sound of the diddles in the split line coming together portion.

Yeah, i liked Star's 92 drumline aswell, especially as they were keeping the mylar snareline thing alive, but i suppose they tend to get overlooked by the 93 line. As for the Crossmen, well they just grooved the house down.

Listening to Cavies when James Campbell was in charge reminds slightly of the way alot of studio drummers approach the writing for a song. Imo the design of the drum writing tended to lean towards the " total package " or " song first " approach to their shows and tended to sound very GE laden. There is nothing wrong with that approach, far from it, but with the way the juding system is set up nowadays and in the late 80's & 90's that type of writing is always going to win out over the more drumming focused drum shows, such as Crossmens 92 line.

Well, I was really referring to the SCV placement. Those guys owned the word 'drumline' in '92 and unfortunately, got hosed due to a lame show. Not trying to take away from the other groups' success though.

It would be interesting to know if the design team for SCV had any other show concepts in mind before they decided upon Fiddler.

Well, I was really referring to the SCV placement. Those guys owned the word 'drumline' in '92 and unfortunately, got hosed due to a lame show. Not trying to take away from the other groups' success though.

I would have had SCV 4th

Thanks for the recap Jeffe. I didn't realise that the Blue Knights tied with SCV for 6th place in drums

Yeah, i liked Star's 92 drumline aswell, especially as they were keeping the mylar snareline thing alive, but i suppose they tend to get overlooked by the 93 line. As for the Crossmen, well they just grooved the house down.

Listening to Cavies when James Campbell was in charge reminds slightly of the way alot of studio drummers approach the writing for a song. Imo the design of the drum writing tended to lean towards the " total package " or " song first " approach to their shows and tended to sound very GE laden. There is nothing wrong with that approach, far from it, but with the way the juding system is set up nowadays and in the late 80's & 90's that type of writing is always going to win out over the more drumming focused drum shows, such as Crossmens 92 line.

It would be interesting to know if the design team for SCV had any other show concepts in mind before they decided upon Fiddler.

funny i thought that year was the first time the Crossmen really went total package. Mark's best "fits the overall show" book ever