DCI Dominance, The Percussion Edition

*****Added Revised Version. The 2008 edition. Click Here*****

So, after putting together the DCI Dominance Chart, I thought I do the same for DCI Percussion sections. Here goes. Check it out, if your interested in tweaking my spreadsheet, let me know and I'll email you the excel spreadsheet I created, perhaps you can post your result. Also, I did one for Yamaha endorsed drumlines. Check out the result of my findings.

19222584.jpg

Edited by Jeffe77

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work there, Jeffe77, I love that stuff.

It would be interesting to do something like this of the SECOND place lines and how much they lost by... or who won prelims. There are so many great lines

that you weren't able to mention here in that you only capture the first place lines here. But some of the real stories are who DIDN'T take the caption title...

Just some thoughts... Etobicoke-Oakland Crusaders, Northstar, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment ... just a few who were "oh so close" or even dominating

some years, only to lose by a hair in finals.

And how 'bout the Ludwig monopoly back in the '70's or the Slingerland drumlines in the late 70's...

Edited by GGarrett

How about Devils not winning a drum title since switching to Dynasty?

I have a theory about that, I call it the "Curse of the Yamaha", a bite off the "curse of Bambino", just like the Red Sox were cursed with not winning a championship until 04 and Yankees winning 26 of them, I believe BD suffers that same fate. At the same time, look how successful the Cadets were once they used Yamaha starting in 01. Talk about an F-U from the Yamaha Drum gods to BD, Sure they went on a dry spell from 87-93, but 98-present...Just something to think about.

Of course a DCI Percussion dominance thread cannot be complete without referencing Cadets perfect 30 in percussion in 1987. I have heard stories from my friends who marched in other corps that year mention how bad*** the Cadets drumline was. Untouchable. Maybe not a dynasty but a domination.

Of course a DCI Percussion dominance thread cannot be complete without referencing Cadets perfect 30 in percussion in 1987. I have heard stories from my friends who marched in other corps that year mention how bad*** the Cadets drumline was. Untouchable. Maybe not a dynasty but a domination.

OK, I'm going to throw a wet towel on this one...sorry.

Do you really think, in your heart of hearts, that Cadets were perfect? There were no errors at all? None? Or is that 30 a result of a system that allows the judges to back themselves into a corner, forcing them to award a perfect score because they had no where else to go?

Garry

OK, I'm going to throw a wet towel on this one...sorry.

Do you really think, in your heart of hearts, that Cadets were perfect? There were no errors at all? None? Or is that 30 a result of a system that allows the judges to back themselves into a corner, forcing them to award a perfect score because they had no where else to go?

Garry

Are we still doing tics?

Not doing tics anymore... and anyhoo you guys out there today play so well individually and as lines that it might be hard to judge with tics anymore. The cans that we played

on a hundred years ago left a lot of "slop around the edges" ... if ya know what I mean... but there were some AWESOME drumlines back then, and I doubt ANY of them were

absolutely perfect without a single (even slightly) blown roll release, or flam grace note dropped too soon, or an attack on the move (especially Cadets!) So I'm with Garry

here. I remember hearing it was a perfect score and shaking my head thinking: "soon, corps will be scoring 100's at finals."

Not to say '87 Cadets weren't friggin' AWESOME, though... they were.

This is a great chart, but it doesn't capture those groups that were 2nd place several years in a row - an accomplishment in its own right. Vanguard is the first to come to mind.