Kingsmen Alumni Corps in Parade

It's partially true. If a Kingsmen guard member had to use the ladies room while in uniform, they are accompanied by a minimum of one other guard member. They walk, in step, side-by-side with their arms folded in front of them; they do not speak to anyone and keep their eyes straight ahead. This tradition will be maintained in the alumni corps.

If you think that's extreme, you should see them at the drinking fountain.

:doh: Thanks for clearing that up! I remember sharing housing with the corps in the late 1970's, and the hornline set up their sleeping bags in formation with their horn cases on end at the foot of their "bed" and shoes at a 45 degree angle in front of the case.

Always awe-struck by the discipline of the Kingsmen!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's partially true. If a Kingsmen guard member had to use the ladies room while in uniform, they are accompanied by a minimum of one other guard member. They walk, in step, side-by-side with their arms folded in front of them; they do not speak to anyone and keep their eyes straight ahead. This tradition will be maintained in the alumni corps.

Our colorguard in my high school band also did this, as did a comp guard I marched in 1978 the Canberra Brigade. Both were taught by Linda Markham who was in the Kingsman guard in 1972. At least I think it was 72 :doh:

I'd like to see what they did in the bar AFTER the show !! b**bs

When you are that good..........Anything is game.

so do we have any pictures we can get up for us all to "OOO & AHHH" at from the bowling team parade?

Seventy horns and ten snare drums, tympani, bass drums, quad tenors, vibes, and miscellaneous and varied other "things" marched the Kingsmen wedge through downtown Anaheim Halloween parade Saturday night. We played the 72-73 OTL...Folks Song Suite. My first drum corps parade since November 1963 in Texas. It was a thrill, and all those years were just wiped away....we gathered, we warmed, we waited, and then we marched (after about 3 hours of rehearsal at Western HS...Tiger Wood's alma mater). Anaheim hadn't seen the Kingsmen for 20 odd years, so probably very few remember the glory years of the great 1972 DCI World Champ....but the kids along the parade route were simply blown away by the power of the horn line and the size and complexity of the drum line. In addition there were probably 25 rifles and 30 or so flags plus a national unit. We were more than a city block long. We were HUGE!!

Sunday morning we were back on the drill field at Cal Baptist U in Riverside working on our drill for six more hours....we may be old codgers, but I have to tell you, we are a bunch of Kingsmen old codgers...we will be remembered.

NOTA BENE: All rumors about the Kingsmen guard are true. They still take each other to the bathroom. :doh:

I'd like to see what they did in the bar AFTER the show !! b**bs
AH...two weeks ago in Portillo's Burger Joint in Buena Park after a Tuesday rehearsal was classic Kingsmen guard.....125DB of hooting and hollering at the guard table (men allowed by permission only) . Last night it was the Roadhouse in Riverside.....you have to party with the guard to fully appreciate them. Don Jose's after the parade Saturday night was ALL Kingsmen...dancing, great buffet (guard planned and arranged), lots of iced tea and lemonade. :angel:

We love our guard ladies...they are the best. :doh: And quite frankly, had I said anything different, all the guard would have known about it in ten minutes of this post, and I would probably have to move back east. :sshh:

I have literally had to bend down on one knee and present to the Queen of the flag line a sword for making a faux pas on a message board...I had to do it at Don Jose's. They're tough...don't ever try to break through their ranks on the way to the hot dog stand :doh: . Fair warning.

Sword1.jpg

Edited by parrotpaul

I must say that it was awesome for me, to walk side-by-side, with my arms folded, in step with my sister to the ladies room at the Walnut show. We had marched together in 74 and are doing it again in the KAC! We love the traditions and discipline of the Kingsmen and are proud to be a part of it again!

Another awesome tradition was at Comp Guard Shows (yes that's what they were called back in the day) when we had the opportunity to sit in the stands and the guard captain would give the command, "Plumes Out".

And just remember, do not ever try to break ranks in the Kingsmen Color Guard!!!!! ^0^