Div II/III corps not going to Pasadena

While I understand the reasoning behind this decision by Cap Sound, or any other corps, what I don't get is why these corps have waited until after the 2006 season to deal with the subject. Pasadena was announced a long time ago, and the logistics should have been in the works from Day 1 of the announcement. Some people, including me, suggested that any of the corps not familiar with cross-country travel contact any of the Pacific division corps, or any of the Central or Atlantic division corps that have made the trip in the last couple of seasons. (Cadets and Regiment come to mind immediately.) The idea of pooling resources was suggested as well.

Trying to tackle this project 10 months from the performance date is crazy. As I stated above, this should have been in the works since Pasadena was announced.

Just my 2¢

Garry

While I understand the reasoning behind this decision by Cap Sound, or any other corps, what I don't get is why these corps have waited until after the 2006 season to deal with the subject. Pasadena was announced a long time ago, and the logistics should have been in the works from Day 1 of the announcement. Some people, including me, suggested that any of the corps not familiar with cross-country travel contact any of the Pacific division corps, or any of the Central or Atlantic division corps that have made the trip in the last couple of seasons. (Cadets and Regiment come to mind immediately.) The idea of pooling resources was suggested as well.

Trying to tackle this project 10 months from the performance date is crazy. As I stated above, this should have been in the works since Pasadena was announced.

Just my 2¢

Garry

Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devils B have not gone to finals every year. They don't make the trek across the country every year. So if not going to finals this year means that another Div 2/3 corps will be able to stay in existence for another year and be around in 2007, then I think it is a good decision for them.

Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devils B have not gone to finals every year. They don't make the trek across the country every year. So if not going to finals this year means that another Div 2/3 corps will be able to stay in existence for another year and be around in 2007, then I think it is a good decision for them.

You're right, but they plan their trips way in advance of the finals week schedule. Granted, they have the resources of their Div. I parent corps to aid them in getting the logistics planned and implemented. So, in effect, you've kinda made my point for me.

Usually, these corps go to finals every other year, with some exceptions. But the key element is that they plan in advance. This will be a rare two-in-a-row for BDB and SCVC.

I appreciate your comments, but it still doesn't answer my question. I will agree, though, that survival is more important.

Garry

Who's to say they didn't? Who's to say that the *plan* in place to get them to finals didn't work out as planned?

Attending Finals shouldn't make or break a corps.

I seriously doubt any corps ended the season and said 'Let's look at Pasadena.. WOW, we can't afford that, let's just stay home or fold'

Having been in the trenches of many plans that didn't survive, it is indeed possible that a plan was in place that upon further reflection didn't work out for one reason or another. I add my voice to those that say that I would rather have them around then have them risk their financial existence to make it to Pasadena.

All that being said, I have two hopes for the Div II/III corps that are not making the trek:

- that somehow they are able to get together for a central location for a show maybe the weekend before to cap off their season in grand style.

- and that anyone who is an age-out in those corps be provided a cost-effective way for them to make it to Pasadena for the age-out ceremony if they want to.

Just my $0.02, now back to your regular programming.

Cheers,

Bob

Capital Sound was in the process of searching for a new director during the off-season. There was careful consideration made before choosing whether or not to go to CA. The new corps director also has many contacts with corps out west and was visual caption head with Mystikal in 2004 and still talks to the director.

In most cases, the corps that decide not to go to finals (wherever it is) probably do look at the logistics from day 1 and try to see what will work for the future of the corps. Capital Sound just made the announcement yesterday but the decision was made before than, as is probably the same with most corps.

I appreciate the subject of this post, and I feel compelled to elaborate on Capital Sound's decision, and the reasons for both our decision, and the timing of our announcement.

As most folks know, Capital Sound was originally a part of the Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association (MDBCA). From 1995-2003, the corps functioned as a strong D-II corps, and the MDBCA made sure the corps was a strong member of the drum corps community. However, in December of 2003, MDBCA made the decision to discontinue its sponsorship of Capital Sound and the corps was disbanded. The corps parents from Capital Sound reacted immediately by re-establishing the group and forming an independent 501c3 non profit organization...and, Capital Sound has continued since then.

The corps went from being a fully supported organization under Madison's umbrella, to one having to suddenly raise money as an individual organization, with very little in the way of assets, and only a handful of folks to run the operation. The main focus for the past two seasons has been to stabilize and grow the corps, while strengthening the Board of Directors and the fundraising operation...all of which have been transpiring quite successfully.

Capital Sound finished the 2006 season in strong shape - finishing 9th at D-III semifinals, and financially in the Black (and, no I won't go into details). The Board of Directors then reviewed the logistics and details on what going to California would entail. It would have been easy to make the decision to go (and, since I'm from California, I really wanted to take a corps back to my birthplace)...however, the reality was that it would have been too draining on the corps in every way, and could have resulted in corps "taking a year off," which is a less painful way of saying we fold.

Yes, California has been on the table for a while...and, everyone has known about it. However, stabilizing the corps and making it a functioning organization has been the focus for the past two years. With that being accomplished, only then was it appropriate to review going to California, because we didn't want to put the cart before the horse.

As for the timing of the announcement, this is when we chose to make it to the universe. However, we dealt with it internally way before we announced it.

I'm proud that there was serious thought put into our decision, and that we weighed all possibilities before making our final decision. Capital Sound will have a successful 2007, in-spite of not competing in California. And, we are working to build on the successes of the past two seasons, and develop a strong, entertaining product that will be around for many years to come.

I hope that answers your questions...

Drum corps financing is a volatile proposition at best for most corps. It is not always possible to see a year down the road when you live day to day.

Thanks for some great dialog, and lack of nasty comments. It's becoming more clear how some corps have reached their position on attending finals. Thanks for the insight.

Garry