OK, so what was the controversy surrounding PR 1978?

It was talked about once before here...something about them losing by .1 due to...something? I dunno, but I remember it was significant. I can definitely see how Santa Clara won, I mean that show is just...wow. But then again, Phantom Regiment was a monster. Any show that has that Grieg piece (DAHHHHHHHHHHHHH...dah dah dahhhhhhhhh) is OK in my book. :doh:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was talked about once before here...something about them losing by .1 due to...something? I dunno, but I remember it was significant. I can definitely see how Santa Clara won, I mean that show is just...wow. But then again, Phantom Regiment was a monster. Any show that has that Grieg piece (DAHHHHHHHHHHHHH...dah dah dahhhhhhhhh) is OK in my book. :doh:

If my memory serves me correctly the .1 was due to a penalty for a dropped rifle.

It was told to me by a member of the '78 Regiment, that the judges were telling them they had just won. Except, there was a penalty for picking up a dropped piece of equipment. The T+P judge saw the rifle being dropped (it was), and then saw it back in the hands of the member, hence the penalty. But, from what I've been told, the rifle is clearly shown on the video as bouncing back up into the hands of the member, which is ok. So there shouldn't have been a penalty.

But, since there was a penalty, they didn't win.

Oh well, such is life.

It was told to me by a member of the '78 Regiment, that the judges were telling them they had just won. Except, there was a penalty for picking up a dropped piece of equipment. The T+P judge saw the rifle being dropped (it was), and then saw it back in the hands of the member, hence the penalty. But, from what I've been told, the rifle is clearly shown on the video as bouncing back up into the hands of the member, which is ok. So there shouldn't have been a penalty.

Oh well, such is life.

The way it worked back then was if something was dropped, the member could not pick it up w/o an either 0.5 or 1 point penalty. Any judge could give it back, not just T&P, with a 0.1 penalty. All the judges would mark it in a place at the bottom of the sheet, so it would not show as a M&M, Brass Execution, etc tick - it was called a penalty.

A large part of the legend of Phantom 78 arose because the penalty was mentioned on the album notes.

The rifle is not the reason they lost, it was the 4th tick during the 2nd minute of the 3rd song.

DOH!

Gawd, could you imagine the pressure on that one rifle girl if it was the reason they didn't win? Poor girl.. :sshh:

I agree though, as much as I love SCV, Phantom should've won for sure 78, my husband talks about that all the time since he marched 27 that year.

Edited by Lancerlady

Oh well, such is life.

How would drum corps history be different if they had coaches (directors') challenges and video instant replay back in 1978...

I remember this quite clearly, and what I remember is the rifle dropped and did not bounce back into the guard member's hands but got stuck in her skirt right on the front line. (I want to say the guard was kneeling at the front line at the time...and I believe that was the case.) It took awhile for it to get back into her hands because of the way it got twisted in her skirt. It was quite unfortunate for it to happen so in front of everyone, but it is NOT why the corps lost. ANY .1 tick was responsible. Any percussion diddle that was off and was caught by a judge, any horn attack that didn't come out right that was caught by a judge, any guard spin that was off and was caught by a judge...and let's not forget any GE score that could have been .1 higher...all that contributed to the corps not winning. The incident with the dropped rifle was just so visible that people focus on it.

I remember this quite clearly, and what I remember is the rifle dropped and did not bounce back into the guard member's hands but got stuck in her skirt right on the front line. (I want to say the guard was kneeling at the front line at the time...and I believe that was the case.) It took awhile for it to get back into her hands because of the way it got twisted in her skirt. It was quite unfortunate for it to happen so in front of everyone, but it is NOT why the corps lost. ANY .1 tick was responsible. Any percussion diddle that was off and was caught by a judge, any horn attack that didn't come out right that was caught by a judge, any guard spin that was off and was caught by a judge...and let's not forget any GE score that could have been .1 higher...all that contributed to the corps not winning. The incident with the dropped rifle was just so visible that people focus on it.

You should find that girl and do a Fanfare story on this! Save her reputation. B)