OK, so what was the controversy surrounding PR 1978?

You should find that girl and do a Fanfare story on this! Save her reputation. B)

You know, that would be good...IF she didn't mind reliving it for the millionth time in her head. She keeps being brought up, but as I pointed out above, ANY .1 tick contributed just as much. I felt for her as soon as I saw it happen. Being right on the front line, she is what people will remember.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...that explains something, actually.

In 1987, PR lost DCI South to BD on a penalty. I remember being at the PR both afterwards and the workers were all, "Not AGAIN!!!".

A Fanfare column would be great! This poor woman is the Bill Buckner of Phantom Regiment. She deserves closure!

You know, that would be good...IF she didn't mind reliving it for the millionth time in her head. She keeps being brought up, but as I pointed out above, ANY .1 tick contributed just as much. I felt for her as soon as I saw it happen. Being right on the front line, she is what people will remember.

Went thru this with my corps at 1975 DCA Prelim but we only missed out on an associate DCA membership. One of the field DMs had a major brain fart and half the horn line was off step for a good bit of a song. We ended up missing the number 14 slot by .29 which could have led to more DCA show invites the following year (old DCA rules).

Anyway most of the attention and/or anger got directed to this guy until someone said "OK, who did a perfect show today and didn't add to our tic total?"

A Fanfare column would be great! This poor woman is the Bill Buckner of Phantom Regiment. She deserves closure!

Well, she does deserve closure, but only if she feels she does and doesn't already feel it's closed. But if someone knows her and wishes to contact her about the idea, be my guest. But it would have to be on her terms. I've already made my point above, in general, that the corps did not have a score of 100.00 prior to her rifle incident and the other corps had a perfect score...so there were plenty of other tenths here and there. But it might be fascinating to hear her relate what happened, how she felt at the time and how she felt afterwards...especially as it's still a topic of conversation. Also, it's my understanding the members of Phantom fully supported her after the show, realizing what I stated in my previous post. Speaking of that cameraderie would be the coolest angle of column.

I've also been asked to check out the one soloist that keeps coming up in conversation. I'd be willing to offer him the same if anyone has contact info or wishes to contact him. Please e-mail any contact info rather than posting it publicly. Thank you.

boomike@dci.org

No doubt about it, PR was REALLY good that year. However, that being said, so was SCV.

As a member of the third place corps that year (BD), I must point out that it was the tightest contest in DCI history. The top 3 were within .15.

I've never heard this particular story before. And I have trouble believing it. A drop was a 0.1 penalty. Retrieving the drop was another 0.1 penalty. PR only had 0.1 in penalties, so they couldn't have been hit for a drop and a retrieval.

Wait a sec...I thought the drop was a tick, not a penalty.