How far do DCI corps members live from their corps?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A previous post got me thinking-

For each Div 1 DCI corps, I wonder what distance the members travel to be with the corps?

For example, IIRC, Phantom had no one last season from Rockford. How far away from Rckfird did the closest member live, how far the median, farthest, etc.

For example, say a corps has 130 members. How many come from within 25 miles of the corps hall? How many at 50 miles, 100 miles, etc.?

If anyone has any interest, post the numbers and I will do the data analysis (I have a heavy graduate school background in statistical analysis) and report back.

A complicating factor is when camps are held out-of state. We'll deal with that covariate later if I can get enough data. For now, lets just analyze distances members live from wherever 'spring training' is located (assuming that location is pretty close to where the corps calls home).

I march Crown and live close 400 miles from Fort Mill. Last year going to camps took me as little 6 hours and as many as 10 hours of driving. It just depended on what kind of traffic I hit once I got to the Atlanta area.

We used to drive about 900 each way from Louisiana to Rockford, once a month! We'd leave about midnight on Thursday night, drive all night and all the next day, then start camp. Rehearse till 3am, sleep until 7am, rehearse till 3am Sunday, sleep till 8am I think, rehearse till 3pm, then leave. I remember driving all the way back and getting on campus just in time for my 10 o'clock class! When I think back on those days, I really don't know how we did it. Youth, I guess, and just eaten up with the drum corps bug. I know I couldn't do it again at 39, but boy, do I wish I could!

Mechanicsburg, PA --> Canton, OH: 325 miles.

But back then, we had the Pennsylvania Bus.

Edited by Maestro767