top 5 moments in drum corps history

1) 27th Lancers opening and closing greatest olympic games ever.

2) 27th Guard... any appearance

3) 27th in 1994

4) 1975 Madison Scouts

5) Formation of DCI

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No particular order:

1973 SCV Young Persons Guide: Nobody before this ever attempted anything so sophisticated and complex and then manage to make it work on the football field.

1976 Blue Devils the best integration of arranging, horns, drums, drill, and GE I had ever seen to that point and for a lot of years after.

The pit: Introduction of a full percussion section completely changed the sound of drum corps

Dance/Movement etc. not sure what to call it but like the addition of the pit the evolution of the "color guard" has likewise changed the look of the activity

Cavaliers three-peat years. A stable design team takes a new approach to putting together a show, takes risks, and motivates the corps. Then works the heck out of it and sells it to the public and the judges.

pee wee herman...nuf said

Well, since the topic says "top" instead of "greatest" five here are what I consider the 9 (I have the right, right?) things that happened in drum corps to change it forever, for better or worse, in no particular order:

1) The severing from VFW/American Legion.

2) DCI's continued betterment of the activity.

3) The focus on over aged members in the early years of DCI (Muchacho's, Bridgemen and SCV)

4) The elimination of the tick system.

5) The de-localization of members

6) The continued betterment of equipment (1 valve to 1 valve, 1 rotor to two valve to three valve. I am not a drummer but it seems the drum equipment have made huge strides through the years also.

7) The inception of “bandos”.

8) The pure difficulty of what is done on the field. Whether it be marching, musically or physically it is just amazing what these kids do these days on the field.

9) Drum corps “professionals”. Instructors, directors and others getting paid for what they do.

1) Adding those freakin' valves

2) Developement of plastic drum heads (formerly animal skins - REALLY)

3) Adding voices to bugle line (baris in 30s, contra and mid voice in 60s)

4) Creating own circuits (DCA/DCI/others) to go outside being "just part of" AL/VFW Conventions

5) Changing drill from basic parade/military formation to open it up.

Yeah all before my time. Wish I could have seen it. :(

Edit: 6) American Legion starts Sons of the American Legion program (1938) for the sons of the Veterans. One of the sponsored activities is (junior) Drum Corps and a direct link to creation of DCI.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

1. Bottle Dance in '74

2. Cavaliers step over in '80

3. Fight Club in '02

4. Bridgemen's full corps collapse in '76

5. Z-pull in '83 and '84

Cavaliers Step Over (the twirling rifles) in 80 gets my vote. Never forget that. Still have that entire show I recorded on cassette tape with just drumline playing and then the added corps, from a pre-show practice they did in Metairie, Louisiana.

If any Cavaliers Alumni from 80 see this, what was the name of the song before the closer?

San_____Swing?We played it at LSU back in the early 80's at LSU. Was my favorite all time song..............

Cavaliers Step Over (the twirling rifles) in 80 gets my vote. Never forget that. Still have that entire show I recorded on cassette tape with just drumline playing and then the added corps, from a pre-show practice they did in Metairie, Louisiana.

If any Cavaliers Alumni from 80 see this, what was the name of the song before the closer?

San_____Swing?We played it at LSU back in the early 80's at LSU. Was my favorite all time song..............

Sambandrea Swing

Although I wasn't in Montreal to witness the famous step over (which was recorded but due to copyright issues in Canada DCI was never able to purchase the recording) I heard from several of my friends who to this day STILL say that that was the loudest crowd response they have ever witnessed. And these are guys who have been around the activity since the 1960's.

Oh, and BTW, it was 1981. 1980 was in Birmingham and we played Softly but the hesitation move wasn't installed until finals of 81.

Edited by dc oldtimer