Marching part of audition

Boy, I bet all those Texas Corps are pleased that SCV is holding auditions in the Lone Star state...........

Not to mention The Bluecoats, The Cavaliers, Madison, and Crown . . .

To be fair, I know that both SCV and The Cavaliers have at least one caption head and many prominent staff members (and quite a few corps members) who have been from Texas for quite a while.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The single most important thing you can do (other than keeping your feet in time), is BE CONFIDENT.

If you project weakness, confusion, apprehension, reluctance, or immaturity, that will leave a big impression on the staff. People evaluate us by how we look/act, so make you always stand up straight, don't fidget, don't talk, don't yawn, etc...look STRONG, even if you really aren't. The staff is looking for kids that they think will have a relatively easy time adjusting to life on the road with the drum corps. Conversely, they're looking to cut the kids that look/act as though they'll break in some way or another during the course of the summer. Attitude, character, and physical fortitude are AT LEAST just as important as marching and playing, if not more so. I've seen tons of decent players get cut because they had a bad attitude or just did not project a solid image of physical and mental confidence. Conversely, I've seen many kids make the line that were marginal players, but were physically solid and had a great attitude.

So in your marching audition (and everywhere else you go in life), whatever you do...do it with strength and unwavering confidence (oh, and do it in time). If you need an example of unwavering confidence, go watch a Marine in uniform. He/she will be a pillar of sheer strength, and that's the goal you should set for yourself.

Cheers!

What should I expect to do at the marching audition for SCV in Texas? What specific things should I work on this week to prepare?

A few things..

1. Expect to learn how to walk in a new completely different way. Drum corps members can be spotted just by seeing them walk after they have marched even one season.

2. Expect to get your butt kicked.

3. Unless you know someone who is a member of the corps you are auditioning for, or if you've marched with SCVC, you won't know their marching style until you go through basics.

4. If you are a whiner at all...you'll be gone before noon on Saturday.

5. If you have a good attitude and are asked back to another camp...work your tail off everyday between camps to improve. Most corps measure improvement between camps and give it serious consideration when deciding who's in and who's not.

Although it does not directly address the original poster's specific question, there seems to be some interest in marching auditions in general, so it is worth bringing up that there is a guide in the brass forums for brass players that want to audition for drum corps. Included is a large section on marching auditions. You can find it by clicking here.

Information in the guide is based on common questions of prospective auditioners new to the activity, but vets may find it useful as well.

As to the original question, the best source of info would be to contact the SCV vis staff and ask them.

Best of practice,

F. G.

Edited by Feet Guru

Whatever you do, do not look around during a basics block. You have to force your eyes to focus on the back of the head of the person in front of you. You have to listen to the commands and trust your body to do what is being asked of it. Wandering eyes are a sure sign of a rookie. You don't have to look mean, angry, or spiteful. Just focus straight ahead and pay attention to the task at hand. Good luck.

oh....and police yourself. (and yourself only.)

in other words, unless you're doing everything absolutly perfect (and even vets don't do that) then just keep your (not you specifically, just the general you) comments about others/their marching (or lack there of) to yourself.

and I agree about the keeping your eyes straight thing. lol

also....have fun! :D

one more thing.... corps is really a mental game.... one of those "I think I can't" type things where your body is yelling at you and you want to stop but you can't.

I assure you that you can go LONG LONG past what you think you can do. :)

You're probably right, but still. Always staring into the back of the person's head in front of you seems like bad advice. I was taught to constantly be checking the form, even if you're standing still or have been for five-ten minutes.