doubletime vs doublefast

meeshell

Ok. Here's my 2 cents from the old school. In 1974 I joined the Saginaires. My first day in the rifle line they asked me if I could do "Michaelsons". I had no idea what they were talking about. They tried to teach it to me but I just could not get it. When I asked them where the name came from they said someone with the last name Michaelson invented it. Later when I marched winterguard with the Royal Marque they called it doublefast and I still couldn't do it. The instructor called myself and another member out of the line and made us go off and said we were not to return until I could do it. I learned it that day. It was the hardest thing for me to learn on rifle for some reason.

Wow, that's intense! :worthy:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to learn double time with the right hand, and backwards with the left hand for my high school guard back in the eighties. Alot of our book had both directions written in. I have gotten to the point I can do double time with my finger inserted, or just flipping it with just the right hand. Gotta love old school!

If I could get away with some 70's and 80's old skool fab on the field or indoors - I would. But, alas...

I actually did get away with it last year with the guard I taught. We did a flag toss over the drum line, two rifle exchanges, and a huge flag exchange near the ending of the show. The guard absolutely loved it because they thought they were doing something trend setting, the crowd love it because many remembered it was done before.

The funny thing is that those moments had people jumping up and down. Go figure!

The funny thing is that those moments had people jumping up and down. Go figure!

I've tried a few times, but the nastiest trash that gets thrown my way is from other instructors. I finally got fed up with "Mike, those tricks were so 80's" and "Mike, the 80's would like their flag work back" that I stopped doing a lot of those crowd-pleasers/scare members of the band tricks. Thing is, when instructors bash other instructors their kids bash other kids. Ah, well...

I've seen some old school elements thrown into a new school of thinking and it worked......just nothing too major...for the most part I say leave the 80s behind.

I've done double time 2 different ways.

In the Reveries we twisted the rifle with our fingers which I believe looks much faster because the rifle only makes 1/2 a revolution and I thought it seemed to go much quicker.

In 2-7 we kind of had our left hand in a C shape (cupped I guess) with no fingers touching the rifle at all. For some reason, not many people could learn the finger type 1/2 turns. I don't believe Denise wanted it changed so we did have to learn the no fingers way.

I've done double time 2 different ways.

In the Reveries we twisted the rifle with our fingers which I believe looks much faster because the rifle only makes 1/2 a revolution and I thought it seemed to go much quicker.

In 2-7 we kind of had our left hand in a C shape (cupped I guess) with no fingers touching the rifle at all. For some reason, not many people could learn the finger type 1/2 turns. I don't believe Denise wanted it changed so we did have to learn the no fingers way.

There is nothing wrong with a little tradition as that is what got us here. As for performing to the crowd, that should be what it is all about!!! Let's get the crowd out of thier seat and get them to stop acting like they are at a play. They should be up cheering. Listen to some old school D&B recordings, the fans are going nuts in the over little things. With all the technology and athletisism we have on the fields today the fans should be going crazy. Everyone keep up the great work that you are doing!!! :doh:

• 1 month later...

In high school (90-93) we were taught all of the old school spins. We learned one called "pizzas" which were spins on the left where the right hand cuts over and bumps the rifle while twisting your pointer finger and thumb (kind of like snapping your fingers). These are probably the fastest spins you can do once you have the rhythm down. We learned the traditional double-time, but we also learned triple-time which is a hybrid spin of double-time and the "pizzas". Then we learned quad-time which is unique and difficult because you touch the rifle: bottom-bottom-bottom-bottom, top-top-top-top, but these spins are hard to get up to a decent speed, what looks impressive is the speed and rhythm of your hands. My first instructor also knew some others...one was called the "butterfly hand-over-hand" but she said it was only spun on the heavy rifles of the 60's and 70's.

I've seen some old school elements thrown into a new school of thinking and it worked......just nothing too major...for the most part I say leave the 80s behind.

My style is very current, just every 20 pages or so I like to throw in a "keepin' it real moment." (Term coined by students, not me.)